Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"Hope Won"

Hope Won, Mixed Media Original Painting on Mat Board, 8" x 10"
© 2008 Fannie Narte


Update: I watched "Oprah" today and was pleasantly surprised to see her walk onto the stage wearing a white t-shirt with the words "Hope Won" across its front, the same words that titles this post and my painting. Serendipity? Amazing and awesome. (Hi, Katy-K!)


We have a new President of the United States--Barack Obama.

Much of my art is inspired by words, thoughts, and ideas, and last night's election coverage offered a wealth of inspiring phrases and words by President-Elect Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey.

Regardless of who you voted for, in my opinion, we all won because we had the opportunity to make our voices heard, to vote for a president who stood for our values, and to vote for a president we thought had the better plan that would address our concerns--to let our voices sing our songs.

I watched Obama's victory speech and heard his words of unity: "I will be your President too." The images of optimistic spectators that flashed across the television screen during his speech defined the feeling of hope I felt. They wore my heart on their faces. I watched the video of his speech again today and transcribed his speech to keep in my journal.


THE INSPIRATION

This piece was created around Oprah Winfrey's quote during one of her interviews last night: "It feels like hope won." The red and blue stars represent the two opponents or the two parties, and the heart represents the "United" States of America--purple results when red and blue blend or "unite," when hands reach across the aisle and join forces.

Also included are quotes by Obama:

Change has come to America.

Anything is possible.

Yes, we can.

We are and always will be the United States of America.

Printed text from an online article from the Washington Post's website "Change Has Come," is included in the background.


The campaign is over; the work begins.
Fannie

16 comments:

Jacq said...

What a wonderful piece to remember this day in history. Our family and friends watched last night and were so moved.

Sherry said...

This is awesome Fannie and should be kept as a reminder of our history.

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie...wonderful piece...I really was touched by his speech to those that did not vote for him...he is a wonderful speaker...

Great work Fannie!!!

Hugs
Diana

quiltcrazygal said...

Thank you for documenting our history with such class. Blessings, Jenna Louise

Genie said...

a lovely piece fannie, Hope your New President can live up to his promises, It is certainly a milestone in American and world history. Have a good weekend
Jean

Fotf said...

Hi, i am curious what the keyboard represents as i notice it shows up in quite a few of your pieces?

Fannie said...

Hi, Jacq. Your family experienced history in the making by watching the election coverage "together." Nice.

It will be a reminder of our history, Sherry, you're right. I believe this event marked the harvest of Martin Luther King's words: "Not by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character."

Thanks, Diana. Obama's speech had several highlights. You highlighted one of my favorite parts of his speech, which inspired my piece, "Hope Won": "To those Americans whose support I have yet to earn: I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and 'I will be your President, too.'" I am still trying to put words to the feelings that I have in reaction to his speech. Oprah's "Hope Won" resonated with me. In my journal, as my first reaction to his speech, I wrote the words: "I am no longer invisible."

Thanks, Jenna Louise. History was marked and the future will reveal the fruits of this event.

Hi, Jean. I believe all Americans "hope" our new president will live up to his promises, regardless of which side of the ticket they voted. The future of America is dependent upon all citizens working together in unity to bring about change.

Fotf, the piano keyboard has many symbolisms in my pieces. Here are some of them. It represents music, all kinds of music, love of music, music from all generations and throughout all time.

On a deeper sense, it represents each person's ability to create their own music through their words, through their art, through any artistic creation, by singing their own songs, by creating "harmony" in their relationships and in their communities.

It also represents the idea of "play," to have fun while life is happening, that each person has the right to play his or her own brand of music. All one needs to do to make music is place their fingers on the keyboard and push down on the keys--just play.

Hope this explanation helps.

mich said...

I sat and wept during President Obama's acceptance speech. For the first time in years, I feel hope and the energy that our country and it's people will emerge from fear and darkness. May we all celebrate as beautifully and creatively as you have with this piece. Peace.

Fannie said...

I wept too, Michele. Thanks for putting words to the feelings in my heart that I have yet to fully uncover. Thank you. Peacefully, ~Fannie

Scrappy Cat said...

I too was moved by Obama's acceptance speech. I had planned on putting some of his words in my journal - so thanks for the link - it saves me from having to find it myself. And your artwork is beautiful - so meaningful.

Dawn said...

Amazing artwork to mark a memorable occasion - We have nothing if we have no hope.....

Dawn
x

Lisa M Griffin said...

Fannie this is a moving piece and post. Hope is such an important emotion... something that we often cling to in the most turbulent of times. Your piece just radiates this emotion and compliments what so many Americans are feeling regarding our president elect. It certainly does feel like hope won.
Beautiful share.

freebird said...

I haven't been by in a while. Where does the time go? I'll keep this page up so I can visit fully this evening to see what you've been up to.

I love your piece you made. I told my husband who loves the saying "Put your money where your mouth is" that Obama is our mouth. He has articulated so well what we hope for, that we can hope and that we can get back on track going the right way so well that we for the first time ever, contributed to a campaign - his. I really felt like it was putting our say, our hopes in action. What a wonderful thing the internet was this time for letting the small donors count for real! I really felt like our money was our vote as living in Arizona, we didn't think (but still hoped) that Obama would carry the state so our ballot vote didn't do much but our dollar vote did. Hope feels so good - you can really feel it, can't you?

Fannie said...

Hi, Cheryl. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think it's amazing how many of us felt "hope." Great to see you.

You're right, Dawn. Hope is a cousin to love.

Hi, Lisa. Yes, "Hope" won. Now we all must help with the harvest.

Congrats, Freebird, for participating in this campaign. Your contribution to our country's political process is an important step. Let's unite and bring in the harvest. ;-D

Fotf said...

Hi, thanks for your words regarding the piano. Haveing come from a very musical family my dad teaches the piano, organ and keyboard and has been in many bands and is the current resident pianist at one of the local hotels i was curious to know how or what the piano symbolises for you.Wonderful explanation :-)

Fannie said...

You're welcome, Fotf. Do you play the piano too?