Saturday, December 27, 2008

Ku'ulei

Ku'ulei, Art Quilt, 8" x 10"
© 2008 Fannie Narte

This art quilt was made with two fabrics, tone on tone bright pink and solid black--two of Ku'ulei's favorite colors. It was thread sketched with black embroidery thread, and her eyes are highlighted with Swarovski crystals.

Using several design features in Photoshop, I created about five or six different versions of Ku'ulei. I then selected certain areas from each image to create the pattern for this quilt. While thread sketching, I added eyelashes, and shadows to different parts of the image. Creating the pattern for this quilt took some time--several days--as I wanted to capture her personality and her smile. This was a Christmas gift.

KU'ULEI IS IN THE ART MUSEUM

Art Museum

Well, not really. It's fun to imagine, though. You can create your own art museum photo, too. Follow the above links.

Christmas came and went. Time sure flies. I'm remembering the events of the past year and feeling gratitude for all my blessings. I'm also working on my New Year's goals. Do you have goals for the new year?
Fannie

12 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

fannie, this is so cool!
i love all they styles you create. each one looks like you have been a master at it for years. you inspire me!
xo
melissa

Fannie said...

Thanks, Melissa. I'm sure if you study closely, you'll find there's room for improvement. There's always room for more tweaking. When is an artwork "done"? Hah! Hope you're having a great holiday!

zquilts said...

Thanks so much for sharing this fun museum maker ! I love your portrait too BTW !

Tina said...

HI Fannie! your work is great, I found you on the blogger search, always looking for other Texas Gals! come over and visit me!
tina

Brenda said...

Wow Fannie, what an awesome art quilt, and fantastic present. Your daughter must have loved it.

marianne said...

The quilt is wonderful, but what is Ku'ulei? I tried to look it up but so many different things appear.

The museum image is fun!
Goals........must do some more thinking on that. I want to eat differently that for sure

Martha Lever said...

Oh WOW, Fannie! Fabulous! And in the museum too!!! :) I'm not surprised!!

Fannie said...

Hi, Marie. Have fun creating your own museum photo. I'll stop by and take a look. Love your Christmas stash!

Hi, Tina! Welcome, and nice to meet you. I'll be sure to pop over to your site. Thanks for the invite.

Hi, Brenda. Yes, she did like it. I made an art quilt of my youngest daughter a time ago--to test this technique--and it's hanging on our family wall. Since then, Kuulei has been wondering when she would become an art quilt on the family wall. Merry Christmas, Ku'ulei! ;-D Always good to see you, Brenda.

Marianne, Happy Holidays! Good to see you. "Ku'ulei" is my second daughter's name, which means "Sweet Blossom" or "Sweet Lei" in Hawaiian. I'm with you on the eating better. Share your success secrets with me, please. ;-D

Hi, Martha! The museum photo is for fun. Click on the link and place some on your blog, too. Have fun!

Jacq said...

Fannie, this is so,so beautiful. I'll have to try Museum Maker.

Fannie said...

Hi, Jacq. Have fun with the museum maker. I'll check your blog to see what you create.

Sherry said...

Beautiful piece Fannie. Your work on fabric and with stitching always amazed me.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Sherry. Switching between mixed media and fiber makes me happy. ;-D