Friday, January 9, 2009

AAQI Update--Thank You

AAQI Art Quilt Collage, 5" x 7"
© 2009 Fannie Narte

Wow! I surpassed my 2008 goal for AAQI! My art quilts earned a total of $1,242.54 in Houston last November, and the amount earned from my art quilt donations for the year 2008 is $1,527.13 for a total of $2,682.13 benefitting Alzheimer's research to date. Thank you, Buyers!

A SPECIAL THANK YOU

Thanks to all of you who inspired my quilts by sharing your stories. I really appreciate it.

Here are some of the quilts that sold in Houston:

Spread Your Wings and Fly--Dedicated to Sherry Carrigan and her grandmother, Ruby.
A Rose Each Day--Dedicated to Regina Rooks and her grandmother, Geneva.
Heart of Gold--Dedicated to Timaree Cheney and her Uncle Victor Richards.
Imagine--Dedicated to Jacq, who inspires me to imagine.
Where I Live, There are Rainbows--Dedicated to Gayle and her friend, Lois.
I Love Music--Dedicated to Brigitte Haydel and her stepmother, Lillie.
Sunflower 1--Dedicated to Tony and his mom, Leida.
Beauty is a Reflection of the Heart--Dedicated to Nancy and her friend, Maureen.
I Miss Us, Daddy--Dedicated to Raymond Mains and Diana Welte.



To see all of my quilts at the AAQI Gallery, click HERE.

2009 AAQI GOAL

My 2009 AAQI goal is to raise another $1,000.

SPECIAL THANK YOU TO AMI

Photograph Courtesy of Katy Kapasi


Ami and her team of volunteers work hard all year round registering thousands of quilts, updating the website, running the monthly quilt auctions, keeping track of the monies and keeping everything organized. I'm sure everyone who has donated art quilts to AAQI feel as grateful as I am to participate in helping to fund Alzheimer's research.

Ami began AAQI because her mother suffered from Alzheimer's. She states:

"My mother is one of 5.2 million Americans with Alzheimer's disease. I began the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative because I think it is possible to make a difference, one quilt at a time." ~Ami Simms

Ami has taken on the enormous task of creating an organization that has been one of the significant non-profit funding sources for this debilitating disease. She is passionate about this project and continues to work tirelessly each day.

Houston Quilt International is one of the venues that Ami offers the art quilts for sale. In November of 2008, more than $45,000.00 were raised in four and a half days! Thanks to all of the generous buyers!

BEEBE MOSS REMEMBERED

Sadly, on November 29, 2008, Ami's mother, Beebe Moss of Flint, Michigan, age 85, died after a 7-year battle with Alzheimer's disease. You may be interested in reading Ami's post.

THE WORK CONTINUES

The work to find a cure for Alzheimer's continues. I echo Ami's sentiment. I joined AAQI because I believe it is possible to make a difference one quilt at a time. I will continue to create art quilts and set a new fundraising goal each year until I can no longer produce quilts. Thanks, again, to all of you who have helped AAQI and who have helped me do my small part in this big project.


In deep gratitude,
Fannie

13 comments:

Scrappy Cat said...

Not such a small part at all Fannie - that's wonderful. Congratulations.

Regina said...

Fannie,
Thanks for posting this update. Just the other day I was wondering how things turned out. I am so thrilled for the success of your contributions. I am still honored that you chose to memorialize my Dad & my Grandma. I spread the news of your success to my family.
Thank you again from the bottom of my heart. xoxo

Fannie said...

Thanks, C! I appreciate your comments.

Regina . . . thank "you" and your family! Please express my gratitude to them.

I received the AAQI update information yesterday and was excited! This is a team effort. Thanks for your support.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

oh fannie!
that is absolutely wonderful! you are so generous and talented!
xo
melissa

Jacq said...

WOW! Congratulations on all that you have done and I know that you will continue to do. It has been a privilege to watch as you have created each of these pieces.

Lisa M Griffin said...

AMAZING! I am so happy for you! Thanks for sharing.

Bunny said...

Fannie, Congratulations! Your beautiful art quilts for the AAQI are how I "met" you in the first place. Bunny

Senta said...

Wow that is awesome!! CONGRATS!

Sherry said...

Thank you Fannie! Awesome work.

NANCY LEFKO said...

Congratulations Fannie, on surpassing your goal !!!

Janet said...

That's wonderful! Congratulations to you. I've looked back at some of your art quilts and they are fantastic! No wonder they brought in so much money.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Everyone!

Bunny, you're right. We did meet through AAQI. I'm grateful that you were moved to contact me. Thank you!

Brigitte (SE. Louisiana) said...

Fannie....thank you so much for your thoughtfulness to include my step mother Lillie in your project. All of your pieces are wonderful and congratulations on raising so much $$.