Friday, January 30, 2009

In My Minds Eye--Land, Sea, Sky 1

In My Mind's Eye--Land, Sea, Sky 1; Art Quilt, 8" x 10"
© 2009 Fannie Narte

This is my first submission to Fiberart For a Cause--Collage Mania fundraiser, which will be held on May 5, 6 and 7, benefitting the American Cancer Society. This art quilt is donated in memory of my father who passed from lung cancer.

Dyed cheese cloth, is the main medium in this art quilt. Various yarns, and turquoise and green gem stones that once were a part of bracelets, which I purchased from a shop in Mexico, add contrast and texture to its design.

This piece is a study in colors and textures, and is the first in my study series.

MY DADDY

My father left his family and home in the Philippines as a teenager and sailed to Hawaii to work on the sugar plantation. He returned to the Philippines after retirement to visit his family. By that time, his only remaining immediate family member was his ailing younger sister, Juana. I can imagine the thoughts and emotions he must have had during his month long visit. When he returned to Hawaii, he told us many tales of his adventures, how he was treated like a king, and how he treated everyone as if he were a king--my father was a storyteller. ;-D

My father loved being outside in nature, and he enjoyed fishing. The idea for this series was inspired by my father's arrival in a new "land," his love for fishing and the "sea," and his return to his eternal home, which is represented by the "sky." I love my Daddy.

Memories . . .
Fannie

15 comments:

Scrappy Cat said...

What a lovely tribute to your dad Fannie.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

what a beautiful quilt and tribute to your dad fannie!
xo
melissa

Michele said...

Beautiful textures and colors. Sounds like you have wonderful inspiration to use for this series.

Heather P said...

Beautiful Fannie! Both the quilt and the story about your father.

Brenda said...

I love the textures and colours you have used in this - it is stunning. What a wonderful way to remember your Dad. Cancer is such a hideous disease, I think just about everyone knows someone who has died from it - my own mother passed nearly two years ago from cancer - she had pancreatic cancer, having just gotten over breast cancer. I'm looking forward to this series of art.

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie...what a wonderful piece and the story about your Father is beautiful....thanks for sharing!!!

Hugs
Diana

quiltcrazygal said...

Wonderful story of your father, so touching. Fannie you are special and I'm so glad to have met you through the art of quilting. Jenna Louise

Genie said...

a great tribute and a beautiful quilt Fannie,

Jacq said...

A beautiful art quilt, with a wonderful story to go with it.

ladybug said...

This is just stunning...one of my favorite art quilts I've seen.
And a beautiful tribute to your love for your father.

Gorgeous!

Brenda said...

Fannie, I have an award for you on my blog. Hugs.

TracyB said...

F, this piece is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Sherry said...

Fannie, what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. Your artwork, regardless of medium continues to amaze me and inspire me. Thank you!

TattingChic said...

Thanks for entering my tatting giveaway for OWOH. Good luck to you.

Melinda Cornish said...

this is beautiful and the story behind it makes it even more so! Your dad would love it...Melinda