Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Three Blossoms

Three Blossoms, Fiber Art Quilt, 6" x 6"
© 2009 Fannie Narte

Three Blossoms before thread sketching

thought you would be interested in what this painted fabric looked like before it was thread sketched. this image is directly from the scanner. one of the reasons i enjoy working with neocolors on fabric is because of the magic that happens between this image and the finished quilt.

this process reminds me of the artistic process.
our minds and vision become clearer with experience and practice.

the parallels of nature and art

seedlings--ideas
water, nourish, tend--create
harvest--artwork

ONE WORLD, ONE HEART

last day for giveaway. winners will be announced tomorrow.
thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway.
see you tomorrow.
good luck!

12 comments:

Michele said...

Beautiful! Amazing what a difference the stitching makes.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Beautiful Fannie! I love seeing the process (very interesting) and the finished piece just comes alive with all those stitches. Thanks for sharing.

Teri C said...

Your perfectly place stitching and colors is just gorgeous!

Diana Evans said...

oh how wonderful to see it with the colour and then with the magic threads!!! wonderful work!

Brenda said...

How stunningly beautiful, and I just loved to see the before/after shot and hear about the process. Absolutely gorgeous.

morningDove said...

i meant to tell you i love your signature. cursive was my favorite writing.

Beth said...

That is so cool! Thanks for posting before and after. You do magic with that thread!

Ruth Rae said...

amazing work! I love how you show your starting stage before the stitching!

Jacq said...

Your thread painting is beautiful, you always do such a lovely job.

marianne said...

I have no idea how you excactly do this.......
But it sure looks amazing!!!
LOVELY COLORS!

Sherry said...

These are great roses Fannie. I have to ask, do you draw some guide lines with a vanishing marker before you start the thread sketch?

Fannie said...

Thank you, Everyone. I really enjoy your visits.

Sherry, thanks for your question. No, I don't draw guidelines. I just make my quilt sandwich--pellon, batting, painted quilt top--place it under my needle, drop the feed dogs and sew. I let the music inspire my movement. Really . . . I listen to music and move my quilt sandwich according to the rhythms of the songs. Very scientific, eh . . . ;-D

With this piece, all I know is I want to sketch three flowers, and I have an idea of about where I want them to be. I don't know what each flower will look like. I just let them bloom. No map; just movement.

I imagine you may be shaking your head. That's okay. My daughters do the same thing when they ask me for measurements for my recipes: two or three shakes of pepper and a handful of flour. Hah!