Friday, March 13, 2009

Are you an artist?

This originally white tennis shoe dared me to paint!
And I did.

THE SHIFT

I'm changing. My art is changing. My world is changing. What's going on? Is this what age feels like? Or is it something else? Whatever it is, there is a shift happening.

Friday the 13th . . .

Today is March 13, Friday the 13th. My first blog post was made on a Friday the 13th, July 13, 2007. I feel like I've been on an almost two-year blogging journey experimenting, discovering and playing in the wide world of art learning new techniques, so many techniques; finding new media, so many media; visiting other artists' blogs, so many blogs. I also feel like I've been so busy experimenting, discovering, playing, learning, finding and visiting . . . and I got lost.

Who am I?

What kind of artist am I? Am I a fiber artist who enjoys an occasional mixed media frenzy? Am I a wanna-be painter who cannot leave the familiarity of thread and cotton? Am I a blogger first and an artist second? Will I live long enough to find the answers to all of these questions?

I think I'm Lost

I think I'm lost--lost in her world of painting, and lost in her world of art journaling, and lost in her world of mixed media, and lost in her world of fiber art. The 24/7 availability of online classes have brought the ideas of other artists conveniently into my home.


First Emulate, Then Originate

I remember a good friend asking me: "How do I find my style?" Copying the masters, they say, is key to studying art.

My response: "First emulate, then originate." It made sense to me at the time. One would think the author of such a bold statement would understand the answer. After all, I formed that phrase. I put those words in that order. Who was I to think I had the answer?

Where does one go after the journey of emulation?

I now find myself in the shoes of my friend asking: How does one originate?

I've studied, now I'm ready to originate. Shouldn't origination magically appear now that "I'm ready"? "Hello, Universe, I am ready to know my own style--my own originality."

Impatience

I impatiently ask: Who am I as an artist? I want an answer that clearly states: you are a mixed media artist, or you are a painter, or you are a fiber artist--now off with you; go create.

But life isn't that simple and life doesn't always give instant answers. After all, life is a journey, and art is a journey, and creating is a journey, and creating art is a journey. It's a never ending journey. An artist's life is no different than a person's life. We are on a journey, and each new idea, and each new experience changes us and our words change, and our behavior changes and our art changes.

Community

And thankfully we are not alone. We have like-minded friends who encourage and validate. We have a community of supporters that journey with us.

Chaos to Clarity

Impatience and curiosity can sometimes create chaos in my life, but not today. Today they have clarified who I am.


I am an artist, and I am a Woman Being who is on a journey to becoming. I originate each day. I originate the words I speak, the thoughts I keep safe in my heart, and the art I create.

Am I the only one who's curious and impatient?

When you feel lost, take some quiet time to reflect and ask questions. Who am I? Where am I going? You'll learn that you were never lost, but you just needed some quiet time, some time to reflect.



Who are you? Where are you going? Are you curious? Are you impatient?

13 comments:

Brenda said...

Very thought provoking. Congratulations on 2 years of blogging. I'm so glad I found you and no matter what media you use, it is an inspiration to me.

Sherry said...

There you go with those deep thoughts again. They are so true and so appreciated. I can relate to all you've written. My journey will never end and I will have fun along the way.

Fannie said...

Hi, Brenda. I'm so glad to have found you, too. Everything you do inspires me, and I'm grateful. Thank you.

Sherry, Sherry, Sherry. That's three Sherry's! Hah! Yep, deep thinking--that's me. Today is one of those deep days. Let's journey together and help each other fly. Thanks for being you.

julie king said...

what a deep and insightful post, fannie! i think we all have these questions and yearnings to discover within us. if you're like me, having fewer responsibilities now that my children are grown has allowed me to spread my creative wings and fly. at this stage of my life i want to be and do all, but i've learned to do it in moderation.

Diana Evans said...

oh wonderful Fannie!!! great quotes on these art shoes!!!

Regina said...

Fannie, My Dear, you are not alone with all this self-examination and questioning. However, you excel at expressing it in a way we can relate to. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the metaphor of the altered shoe with your journey statements.
This post needs to be published in one of our fav magazines. Truly.

Jacq said...

What wonderful thoughts. We are all on our journey. I am so glad the our journeys have crossed paths, I have gained so much from you.

Fotf said...

Hello Fannie, long time no see lol. How are you, love your shoes, would love to walk in them too or my own version of them, something to consider in the future. Keep experimenting :-)

Beth said...

Well said! I guess there are alot of us that go through the same struggle with our creative journey! Thank you!

marianne said...

What a nice idea this is! And such deep questions and answers!
The shou is nice to have around untill you have figured out everything....

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi fannie!
i love your art shoes!
they are wonderful! i also love that you decorated the inside of the shoes too!

how creative!

Fannie said...

Hi, Julie. I think we're in similar stages. However, you've learned to do it in moderation. I'm still flying in the do-it-all zone. But I'm working on it. ;-D

Diana, thanks for visiting. Sometime soon I'll need to finish the other shoe to match. Any ideas for quotes for that one?

Wow, Regina, I'm glad this post resonated with you. I try to be mindful and make my posts inspiring and uplifting and hopefully validating, too. Do you think there's a publisher out there watching? ;-D

Dear Jacq. I am glad our paths have crossed, too. Your friendship means a lot to me, and you have helped me gain the confidence I needed to forge ahead during my earlier days of experimenting and discovering. Thank you.

Hi, Kerri! I wonder what your art shoes would look like. Probably delicate fairy looking ones, maybe with heels and lots of glitter and shine. What do you think?

Hi, Beth . . . shoes, journey, art . . . I wonder what your shoes would look like? You are one of the gifts of my explorations with colored pencils. I'm grateful to have you as a friend.

Hi, Marianne. The shoes will remind me that I'm on a journey without a destination. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. Always good to hear from you.

Hi, Melissa, how about some pug art shoes for the mommies of pugs? What do you think? ;-D

Melinda Cornish said...

How fun! I love it....