Monday, March 30, 2009

Create Your Masterpiece

Art Museum

Create Your Masterpiece, Fiber Art Bag, 5" x 7"
© 2009 Fannie Narte

Museum by dumpr.net

The Mona Lisa is perhaps the most recognized painting in the world. Leonardo da Vinci (Leonardo from Vinci) painted the Mona Lisa in Florence, Italy and kept it for himself. This famous painting now resides in the Louvre in Paris.

Michael J. Gelb's book "How to Think Like Leonardo da Vinci--Seven Steps to Genius Every Day" is one of my favorite books. It was published in 1998, and I discovered it several years ago. Since then, I've read and reread this book many times, and I believe it has been a catalyst to my diverse interests and probably is one of the main reasons why I am curious about many things, and why I am a "scanner," according to Barbara Sher in her book "Refuse to Choose." Leonardo da Vinci is a scanner, too!

The definition of a scanner by Barbara Sher:

"Intense curiosity about numerous unrelated subjects is one of the most basic characteristics of a Scanner. Scanners are endlessly inquisitive."

Gelb states:

"Although it is hard to overstate Leonardo da Vinci's brilliance, recent scientific research reveals that you probably underestimate your own capabilities. You are gifted with virtually unlimited potential for learning and creativity."

Gelb's book offers a fresh perspective and deep appreciation for Leonardo's genius. It also offers tools and suggestions for one to learn to think like Leonardo. It's a good read.


Another book in my library is Leonardo's Notebooks. I enjoy this book because it gives insight into Leonardo's imagination and mental activity.

"Create Your Masterpiece" Fiber Art Bag

I created this bag to carry a cell phone and personal cards. It also has room for a moleskine pocketbook journal and a pen. Grommets were added to attach the handles, a silver chain which can be worn on the shoulder or as a crossband. It's a fun bag and perfect for cruises and shopping trips.

Front of Bag

The image of Mona Lisa was printed onto cotton fabric after manipulating it in Photoshop, including the addition of the text. It's heavily stipple quilted using matching threads.

Back of Bag

The back of the bag is quilted with my woodgrain design and yarn was stitched to symbolize an artist's journey.

There are two pockets inside the bag. Here's a look at one.

THE ARTIST'S JOURNEY

Leonardo da Vinci is also known for his mirror writing. If you place a mirror to the right of the above note sheet, you'll be able to read my message easily.

It's a fun exercise. Try it and see what you think.

Enjoy your artist's journey! Create Your Masterpiece!

6 comments:

Jacq said...

I love your Mona Lisa bag, what a wonderful idea. I have seen the books on Leonardo da Vinci before now I think I may have to purchase then. Barnes and Noble use to have a free online class on the book "How to think like Leonardo da Vinci".

Lisa M Griffin said...

Wonderful bag and you have made me curious about this book as well. Will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing Fannie, hope all is well. =)

TracyB said...

LOVE this!! What a great idea!!

TextileTraveler said...

Thank you for reminding me that I have this book, and that I never finished reading it! I'll have to dig it up now and finish it. I'm pretty sure I'm a scanner too; I've always felt guilty about it because I feel like I should (don't you hate that word?) focus more and stop trying to learn about everything in the whole world.

Marty's Fiber Musings said...

What a great little bag! I already have plenty of fabric, so I'll be off today to purchase the chain and grommets to make my own. Thanks for sharing your little pretty.

Melinda Cornish said...

what a great bag and I love your stamps that you made too! Such a creator you are and I get so inspired...Thank you for that Fannie! melinda