Saturday, April 4, 2009

Create Your Own Stamps in Three Easy Steps

Abstractions

Using a foam brush, I first painted my handmade stamps with dark green acrylic paint. Next, I randomly brushed medium green paint and white paint over the dark green paint, then stamped the images onto white paper. The textures were naturally created during the application of the paints with the foam brush.

I'm sure I'm not the first to use foam to create stamps. I thought of this idea as I was contemplating adding abstract designs to some fabric I have in my stash, which I plan to use in my purse designs. Creating stencils to paint onto the fabric is another option. However, I wanted to use the supplies I already had in my studio. I'm excited to share my results and process with you in this easy tutorial.

TUTORIAL

Three Easy Steps to Creating Your Own Stamps

Supplies:
One piece of 3" x 7" wood
One piece of 4" x 6" foam
Waterproof Glue
Scissors

1. Sketch your designs onto the foam and cut out.

2. Glue your designs to the wood and let dry according to glue manufacturer's directions.

3. Stamp!

HERE ARE THE TWO STAMPS I MADE TO CREATE THE FIRST IMAGE ON THIS POST
Abstract Journey
© 2009 Fannie Narte


Abstract Grass
© 2009 Fannie Narte


You may already have these supplies in your craft closet. If not, these supplies can be found in your favorite hobby stores. I used two pieces of 4" x 6" foams to create these two stamps. These designs were created without sketching first--I just put the scissors to the foam and cut . . . it's freeing! Try it and share your explorations with us!

Enjoy your weekend!

17 comments:

morningDove said...

great foam stamps. i also am going to the auto store to check out the rubber/plastic. saw this suggestion somewhere to.

Genie said...

thanks for the inspiration Fannie
Have a great weekend
Hugs Jean

kiwicarole said...

Hi Fannie, this looks interesting, I will keep a watch for your purses, I just know they are going to be stunning!
Hope you are having a lovely weekend!
Carole

Martha Lever said...

wow foam! never have done that but now i will !!! great designs, fannie!

Karen said...

Great idea using the foam. i have carved rubber stamps out of EZ cut from Nasco, but it is thick and harder to cut than foam would be. I bet the foam is faster to make up the stamp too. Thanks for the inspiration!

Regina said...

Love your stamp designs. I use this foam, too. I have also purchased the foam sticker shapes and used them to create stamps. They are very handy to create perfect circles.

Fannie said...

Hi, Dove. If you experiment with stamp making and post your discoveries to your blog, leave a link here so others can visit and see what you did. Thanks for sharing. You are loved.

Hi, Genie! You're welcome and thanks for visiting! Have a fun and inspiring weekend! You are loved.

Hi, Kiwi Carole! How's the weather in your part of the world? I'm having fun creating bags and purses. I'm enjoying my weekend, and I hope you are, too. You are special!

Hi, Martha. Thanks for visiting. I hope you will leave a link here if you share your stamp making explorations on your blog. I'm sure others will want to take a look. Anything you do always turns out excellent. You may even do one of your wonderful video blogs. Thanks for visiting. Enjoy your weekend.

Hi, Karen. Yes, the foam is so easy to cut--just like butter. ;-D Imagine the many designs you can create . . . endless possibilities. Hobby stores also sell precut foam shapes which you could use as is, or you might alter the precut designs and make them uniquely you. Have fun! Please share a link to your explorations if you post them to your blog. Thanks. Have a great weekend.

Hi, Regina. Thanks for sharing your experiences. We inspire one another. How interesting . . . I just wrote about foam shapes to Karen, above, before reading your comment. Kindred spirits think alike. Thanks for your friendship. If you have a post about making stamps with foam or other materials, feel free to add that link here so others can be inspired by you. Enjoy your weekend, Regina!

TextileTraveler said...

Very nice stamps, Fannie. I've been playing with making some as well. I tried kid's foam beads on wood (http://textiletraveler.blogspot.com/2009/02/elliptical-robin.html) but didn't like result, then today I carved rubber plumber's gasket (http://textiletraveler.blogspot.com/2009/04/new-toys.html). These work really well!

Lots of fun!

Sherry said...

Genious! I have some stamp carving tools and have carved one stamp. It was tough. I like you method a LOT better. Maybe I can ebay my supplies since I wasn't really thrilled.

quiltcrazygal said...

Thanks for sharing Fannie and I just love Journey Toward Your Dreams. It is beautiful. Blessings to you. Jenna Louise

Sharon said...

Very nice foam stamps. Really like your abstract grass!

quiltcrazygal said...

Thanks for stopping at my blog Fannie, I miss you:) I posted another project today I think you would really enjoy and I also thread painted a project at home today and will be posting soon. Your work has really helped me with my skills. Thank you so much, you have touched many people. Hugs, Jenna Louise

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie!!!

oh wow...what a cool idea...this is so clever!!! I have to try this out....

thanks for sharing all the ideas with us!!!

hugs
Diana

Jacq said...

Your stamps are wonderful. I find that I use the stamps that I have carved more then all the ones I have purchased.

Scarlett Burroughs said...

I linked to this post at

http://quilting.craftgossip.com/thrift-store-foam-makes-the-quilt/2009/08/22/

Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing.
Scarlett Burroughs
Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

Darlene said...

What a fantastic idea!!! Love your stamp shapes. Thanks for sharing.

Kristy C said...

These are great! I have done alot of carving myself :)