Friday, April 24, 2009

Defining the Spirit of Aloha

Defining the Spirit of Aloha, Mandala
© 2009 Fannie Narte

I designed this mandala using one of my paintings and a photograph of ferns from the Big Island of Hawaii.

What is a Mandala?

The simple answer: Mandala means circle, and it represents wholeness and the organizational structure of life. It is often used as a spiritual teaching tool.

One of the reasons I enjoy creating mandalas is because of its design capabilities.

It can be complex . . .

. . . or it can be simple.

It can be created by hand or digitally.


When creating my mandalas, I like to work without a road map or plan. I let serendipity drive the process. When my mandala is complete, I display it and study it. Sometimes I discover its symbolisms and hidden messages; sometimes I just enjoy its beauty and design.

FREEDOM TO CREATE WITHOUT JUDGMENT

Another benefit of creating mandalas is that it helps me practice creating without judgment. It offers the practice to create in freedom. Other than doddling within a circle, there are no rules. There's no right way or wrong way.

A TOOL TO UNBLOCKING CREATIVITY

When I find I'm staring at a blank paper or blank canvas too long, I create a mandala. The process is sort of a clearing of the pathway to creativity.

MANDALA OASIS

Cheryl, who blogs at Mandala Oasis, has a tutorial for creating mandalas. Cheryl is the owner of a yahoo group called Mandala Oasis for creative souls who want to connect with like-minded mandala enthusiasts.

Aloha,

3 comments:

Genie said...

hi Fannie,
Love the Mandalas. Have a fun weekend and thanks for visiting
Hugs Jean

marianne said...

Wow lovely mandalas! And the title....sounds so wonderful!
I followed the link and stumbled upon a mandala ATC trade. Sounds like fun!
Thanks for this post and the link!

Have a nice weekend!

Fannie said...

Hi, Genie. Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

You're welcome, Marianne. I may join in a future ATC trade. Glad you enjoyed the post and link. Have a great weekend.