Thursday, June 25, 2009

Grace, Generosity, Gratitude

© 2009 Fannie Narte

GRACE, GENEROSITY, GRATITUDE

This year, my three focus words are: Grace, Generosity and Gratitude. My activities, artwork and writing have been inspired by these words and the ideas they generate.

CELEBRATING MY FIRST YEAR WITH ETSY

June is the anniversary month of my Etsy shop. My first sale was on June 16, 2008. Knowing that people outside of my family circle enjoyed my art is amazing. The generous feedback and e-mails from customers fed my soul. Thanks to all who made my first year extra special.

KIVA.ORG

Kiva partners with existing expert microfinance finance institutions to make loans to entrepreneurs throughout the world, including the United States. "Its mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty." Kiva's partners also provide training and other assistance to maximize the entrepreneur's chances of success.

LENDING IS EASY

Participation as a lender is easy. Lenders make loans through Kiva, and Kiva forwards the money to the appropriate microfinance institutions. Lenders have the option to receive updates about their loans. I discovered this organization through Maria Shriver and have been studying the Kiva site for some time before deciding to participate. I joined Maria's Kiva team. Kiva is a well-oiled organization with accountability and transparency.

KIVA.ORG ON CNN

Watch CNN's Money & Main Street TODAY for a segment on Kiva! It airs at 8pm Eastern, 7pm Central, 6pm Mountain and 5pm Pacific time.

ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION

To celebrate my Etsy anniversary, I calculated a percentage of the total first year sales and used that amount to participate as a lender at Kiva.org.

Yesterday I made my first Kiva loan. I was excited to receive an e-mail from Kiva.org last night informing me that my loan to Ioana in Samoa was disbursed. I lay my head on my pillow last night feeling grateful that my dollars are helping someone work their way out of poverty. Thousands of miles away, I can imagine Ioana's gratitude.

I'm grateful.

Trying to make a difference one dollar at a time.

3 comments:

Scrappy Cat said...

What a lovely generous thing you've done Fannie - but then, that doesn't surprise me, because you're that kind of person.

Brenda said...

These three words describe you to a T. I only hope that I can aspire to be these things. Thanks for your friendship and inspiration. Hugs.

Jacq said...

What a wonderful way to show your "Grace, Generosity and Gratitde". I was looking at these three words and thinking about how much each word is about the other two words. I have read some about Kiva and it seems to be a really good thing!