Saturday, July 25, 2009

Calligraphy, Finally

Do you enjoy the romantic lines of calligraphy like I do? My high school art teacher tried to teach me calligraphy using India ink and pens with metal nibs. However, I was more interested in squishing the gooey clay between my hands, and kneading and molding it into elephants.

Over the years since then, I purchased several calligraphy kits, pens, workbooks, and books, but my attempts at self-study were not fruitful. I even contemplated taking a workshop with Ken Brown years ago, who conveniently offered classes at a local hobby store, a thought that never materialized, regretfully.

I almost made the same mistake again when I heard about Martha Lever's online "Calligra-FUN" class at Creative Workshops.

Look at what I did after a few days of practicing Martha's techniques. Martha's relaxed and encouraging teaching style makes me believe that I can be successful this time.

Maybe I had to mature to the point that I realize that there are no shortcuts to learning this writing technique. Maybe I realized that I needed a structured environment with a teacher who was passionate about helping her students learn. Whatever the reason, this is my time to learn calligraphy, and I'm enjoying it.

Mantra . . . practice, practice, practice . . . fun, fun, fun!

Thanks, Martha!

9 comments:

Martha Lever said...

Fannie, these a very very good letterforms and in such a short time! Good for you---and thank you for the encouraging works about the class. You will do very well with the rest of the lessons. So glad you joined the class!

Sherry said...

You and Terri are on top of the game. Already have the letter forms mastered and turned it into your "own" style. I'm still practicing.

jgr said...

Fannie, your letter forms are awesome! I'm taking Martha's class, too. I love it but I don't have any words yet. Hopefully soon.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

oh how wonderful fannie!

this class looks like so much fun!

yours and sherri's work are wonderful!

Brenda said...

Wonderful. Martha sounds like a fantastic teacher. I am planning on taking the class later in the year when I am finished with the half dozen I am enrolled in but not doing at the moment!

Debbie said...

I joined Martha's class too and can't wait for the first video. Your letters are great!

Jacq said...

Your calligraphy is looking wonderful. Looks like a great class.

TextileTraveler said...

Fannie, thanks so much for posting this info. I have been struggling for years with calligraphy as well, and strangely enough, just pulled out my books again a few days ago. I quickly gave up after about an hour. Maybe this class is just the kind of thing I need!

Btw, received your beautiful fabric in the mail . . . I love it!

Scrappy Cat said...

You are now the third person I know taking this class - Sue Bleiweiss and Terri Stegmiller are the other two. You're doing great! I learned the more formal style of calligraphy many years ago, but haven't kept up with it. I like this style better. Are you happy with the class?