Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cloth Dolls

I love making dolls. While cleaning the clutter out of my garage, I found these two dolls in a bin. They are both cloth dolls made in the late 80's/early 90's, and in need of repair. I'm glad to have found these two dolls and appreciate them more now than when I first made them.

The face of the doll in pink was made from a plastic mold, which was covered with a layer of special stretch fabric. Her features were painted with acrylic paints.

I took a doll making class to learn to make her from a teacher who learned this technique in Switzerland.

The second doll needs a new wig and clothes. She has a cross-stitched face. I found her pattern in a magazine.

I LOVE DOLLS--REMINISCING

I love all kinds of dolls and collected them during my travels in my younger days. Over the years, I gave away most of them. For several years, each Christmas I made a new kind of doll for my daughters from Cabbage Patch dolls, to porcelain dolls, to cloth dolls.

One of my friends made a beautiful Victorian doll with long legs and hands, which she kept displayed on her bed. I fell in love with it and designed my own version of a Victorian doll. She was extra special because I placed a music box in her belly. Anytime her belly was pressed, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" or a Christmas tune such as "Away in the Manger" or "Clair De Lune" played. Music has always been a part of my life and, I guess, my art.

I wish I hadn't given away all of my Victorian dolls. I guess I'll just have to recreate this pattern and make another one . . .

Thanks for walking back in time with me.

3 comments:

Diana Evans said...

oh that is neat....I never knew you were into dolls...I think this may be something neat to get into...wonderful Fannnie....I know you will work your magic with these.....

Hugs
Diana

Jacq said...

YOur dolls are beautiful. I think you have found some treasures. It is fun to see different things that you have done.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Sis
"Happy Sunday" Aww Those dolls have precious faces. I Have a collection of Raggedy Ann Dolls. I would love to see what a victorian doll looks like, I love anything vintage and victorian, I became interested in them when I started visiting blogs about them.
Thanks for sharing your specila dolls with us.

Hugz Lorie