Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Pineapple Block and a Different One

Pineapple Block, 2" square
© 2009 Fannie Narte


AVOIDING SOMETHING NEW

Do you have days where you start off with a great idea to try something new, such as trying your hand at fabric dyeing? Then you do the laundry, and clean the kitchen and sort and fold all your fabrics and place them into their bins. Avoidance? Maybe.

CONVENIENT OTHER PROJECT

While folding the fabrics, magical ideas pop into your head about all the different quilts you could create with these fabrics. You abruptly leave your unfinished "organizing" and you run upstairs to your library of quilt books, and salivate at all the colors and designs . . . then you remember that small paper pieced pineapple block pattern you always wanted to play with for which you already have copies on hand. Convenience? Maybe.

NEED TO FOCUS

Then you excitedly return to your partially neat fabric bins to look for just the right fabrics to use in that pineapple block and you make a mess of your stash. After all that anticipation and searching and mess, you realize you don't have the colors you need, and you remember that you started off your day's journey wanting to dye fabrics, for which you could have used in your pineapple block. Hhmph. Scattered? Maybe . . . in more ways than one.

A SMART IDEA

So you do the next smart thing. No, silly, you don't run to the fabric store!

You paint your white cotton fabric with Neocolors to get the different shades you need for the pineapple block.

OOPSIES

That's what I did today, made two small pineapple blocks. In no time, I finished my first pineapple block . . . or not. Oopsies! I should have followed the pattern. This is what happens when you proceed with your heart and not your head.

LEMONADE

I made a "different" block. I imagine this block must have a name. Since I don't know what it is, I'll just call it "Lemonade."

Hmmm, what shall I do tomorrow? Maybe I'll re-try my hand at fabric dyeing. I have all the supplies I need . . . no excuses . . . no avoidance . . . no scattered brains.

TOMORROW IS A NEW BEGINNING . . . AGAIN

Yep, I think I'll overdye the fabrics I purchased for my art quilt project, . . . after I mop and sweep the kitchen floor, clean the stove and refrigerator, and vacuum the living room, and . . . oh, I need to collect all my magazines and put them back on the shelf . . . after I take a look at the yummy art quilts in Art Quilting Studio and Quilting Arts, and journal pages in Cloth, Paper, Scissors and handbags in Haute Handbags . . . magic . . . eventually my messes disappear . . . eventually . . . but not today . . .

It's all magic . . .

6 comments:

julie king said...

i so enjoy looking at your work. i have similar thought patterns or ways to avoid. some days it's easy to be inspired and other days not so much.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi fannie!
oh what a fun and inspiring post!

your creative energy is contagious!

i LOVE your new block! the colors you created are perfect!

xoxoxo
m

Sherry said...

OH. I thought about using the neocolors in the same fashion. Good for you. Great blocks, right, wrong, or indifferent.

Michelle said...

love the blocks, Fannie, they were meant to be. Once you've got your house (and yard?) spotless, try that fabric dyeing! It's not as hard as you think...and you can keep cleaning while the fabrics batch!!! (or not!)

Jacq said...

Your day sounds so familiar. I usually will have a 15 minute nap in there somewhere.

freebird said...

Lol, what a post. Yes that is so descriptive of a creative soul. Thanks for dropping by. I haven't been getting too much posted or too much blog hopping done lately. I love to see what everyone is up to but then I don't get anything done. This was a very good read though. I don't really want to dye any fabric as that means a whole lot of new stuff to buy but the neo-color idea is terrific for a small project. Thanks for the idea and the humorous (or not) story.