Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Christmas Scrap Quilt--Block 23 and The Tale of the Flob

Block #23, 8" square
© 2009 Fannie Narte

Block No. 23 out of 45 for my Christmas Scrap Quilt.



Digital Quilt from Block #23
© 2009 Fannie Narte


“I am an artist first and a quilter second.
Has anyone seen my husband, children and grandchildren?”
~Fannie Narte~

The Tale of the Flob
A Magical Perspective

When I go to my studio, I lose track of time. Ready to make magic, I carry my set of Neocolor II, my fan brush and a fresh cup of water to my work table. I put on some music, probably a CD by Jewel, whose songs challenge my ideas and open my imagination through her rhythmic guitar chords and picking. Jewel’s no-nonsense lyrics remind me that I am privileged to have the freedom to create whatever I want.

If I’m lucky, I’ll make a “flob,” (my word for “mess”). That flob pushes me to search for ideas to “save” my piece. In my explorations, I discover new ideas, new techniques, new applications, new designs, new patterns, publication submissions, exhibit ideas, book ideas . . . .

Lunch comes and goes, dinner comes and goes, and I don’t care. I’m happily engaged in a mission and lost in a black hole, soon to meet Mr. Rabbit and his broken pocket watch. Eat your heart out Alice in Wonderland!

The butterflies have gone to bed.

I hear the garage door opening. What time is it? What day is it?

Beneath his smile, I see the scars of his battle with traffic.

Excited to show him my newest innovative piece--once a flob. I flaunt my new quilt and notice his gentle smile.

“What a nice fabric bowl!” He exclaimed.

“I am an artist first and a quilter second. I rest my case.”

Hah!

Flob, blob, knob . . . what priorities?

This is just a tale, really. It's all make believe . . . magic . . . or is it? Hah!

If you find yourself lost in your studio, be sure to laugh out loud so they can find you and rescue you from Wonderland . . .

5 comments:

Jacq said...

There are many the day the my sweet husband peeks into my studio and ask "Were you planning on eating today?". He really has become quite the cook.

Sherry said...

Quilt is coming right along. Can't wait to see it all together. Thanks for the little tale. I have plenty of "flobs". hee hee.

Fannie said...

You visit Wonderland, too, Jacq? Hah! Thanks!

Thanks, Sherry. Flobs are Fab! 8-B

Diana Evans said...

oh wow!!! you are amazing with the details...I wish I could sew like you!!!

Hugs
Diana

Dawn said...

Hi Fannie
wow long time since I stopped by, love the captivating tale of flobs and Wonderlands!! LOL

Hugs
Dawn