Sunday, October 25, 2009

What Have You Been Doing?

How are you? I missed you! Did you miss me? Don’t answer that.

Time flies when you’re having fun. I didn’t realize my last blog post was on Wednesday of last week! Whoa!

Thanks for visiting even though there were no updates for a few days. I appreciate your continued interest in my blog and goings on. To express my gratitude, tomorrow, I’m announcing a fun giveaway. Hint: Its name begins with a “T,” like my husband, and it has four letters. More hints sprinkled throughout this post. Hang with me . . . ;-D

ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW???

Let’s see, what are the positives from my absence? There’s always something golden among the dead leaves, right? One positive is that it was a good time to harvest my older posts and read those that you might have missed. Okay, okay, so there are better things you can do with your time. Hah! Thanks, again!

My heart did grow during my absence . . . in many ways, including artfully . . .

WORKS IN PROGRESS

So what have I been doing? Having fun, shopping (HINT), reevaluating my art life and the direction it’s going, and . . . I have been creating. My Christmas Scrap Quilt, which is my current work-in-progress project, has given birth to new works in progress.

THE DOMINO EFFECT

Isn’t that how the creative mind works? A project leads to ideas while exploring the “What ifs,” and you take a leave of absence from your current project to work on that nagging idea because it won’t leave you alone until you do something about it. Then the domino effect takes place, and one idea leads to another project and another and another, and before you know it, it’s Sunday, and you haven’t written a blog post for a few days.

Here are three (HINT) of the projects I worked on during my absence:

A pineapple quilt

The pineapple is a common motif in the Islands. To many islanders, it means “hospitality.” My mom crocheted pineapple doilies to decorate our couch and the end tables in our living room. I imagine it’s the reason why the pineapple motif reminds me of home. I carry (HINT) that warm feeling in my heart.

Like mother, like daughter, as a young mother, I crocheted my own pineapple doilies, which decorated my living room couch. The circle of life . . .

I wanted to see this design in fall colors.

The paper-pieced pattern for these pineapple blocks were from the book “Paper Piecing Picnic,” from the editors and contributors of Quilter’s Newsletter Magazine and Quiltmaker Magazine, published by C&T Publishing. You can find it on Amazon.com for about $4.00. What a deal!

A Christmas Quilt

© 2009 Fannie Narte

The image for this quilt is a kaleidoscope from one of my Christmas Scrap Quilt blocks and was printed onto fabric using my printer. Paper piecing found its way into this quilt, too, as can be seen in the border. I think I’ll add two more borders.

Diamond in the Rough

Diamond in the Rough (Working Title), Art Quilt
© 2009 Fannie Narte

This is my original paper pieced pattern. Its design is simple, and when you play with values, it makes the piece sing. These are six-inch blocks which have been placed side-by-side just for photographing. This quilt will end up being around 42 inches wide and 54 inches long.

ONE MORE THING


One last giveaway HINT: Its made of fabric. Come back tomorrow to learn about the giveaway. More to come! What does that mean, "more to come" . . . hmmmm . . .

Hope you're having fun! See you tomorrow.

10 comments:

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie!!!! I have been so busy these last few weeks...or is it months...lol.....I know that you are always creating and inspiring us with your wonderful art!!!

You sure have been busy too!!!

Hugs
Diana

Beth said...

Hi Fannie! Wow, Wednesday? I posted for the first time in a week! I don't see how you get so much accomplished! Your quilts look beautiful!
I've been busy too. Just not on artwork.
Thanks for all you do!

Joyfulsister said...

Hey Sis,
(((HUGZ))) Hey you know you can't just up and leave like that!!!

Just kiddng LOL.. Hope all is well my friend, did you take a break from creating?? you hve been busy and so deserve one.

Have a blessed week ahead!!!

Michelle said...

oh dear, Fannie, you are giving away your husband??? just kidding! You paper piecing projects are beautiful. xo

Martha Lever said...

Hi Fannie! I always looking at you beautiful quilt creations. I'll be back tomorrow!

Reflections of life and art said...

Beautiful quilts Fannie...I tried paper piecing once and found out it's not my thing...I'm more a free form, abstract, do your own thing kinda gal....love your work!

Vicki W said...

Pineapple quilts are some of my favorites. It's on my "to do someday" list!

Jacq said...

Fannie, I love all the snipppets of quilts you are working on.

TracyB said...

Diamond in the rough is GORGEOUS!! Love the colors!!

Fannie said...

Thanks for visiting, Friends! Your words make my heart dance.

Diana, I still can't figure out how you create so much, post each day, sometimes on two blogs, and visit your blog friends leaving behind encouraging comments each day. Thanks for your example and friendship.

Beth, artist, teacher, mom, wife (to name a few), thanks for your friendship and for your visits. Keep your colored pencils sharpened!

Lorie, love your virtual hugs. Always welcomed. Took some time to reflect about life, art; art, life. Appreciate your friendship, always.

Michelle, come over for breakfast anytime. I'll have your favorite hot drink waiting and some delicious biscuits . . . and I'll send you home with a basket full of studio supplies, and give you my attention and my friendship while we solve the problems of the world, . . . and I'm keeping my husband. Hah!

Hi, Martha. Thanks for stopping by. Hope your classes are going well. You're a great teacher.

Hi, Noel, doing your own thing is wonderful. Bravo! Beauty comes from the heart and not from a certain technique. Diversity . . . that's what makes the world a place of colorful beauty. Keep doing your own thing and make your own magic. It's all good. Thanks for sharing.

Vicki, you have a fantastic stash of hand dyed fabrics in all its values and colors that are perfect for these pineapple patterns. Makes me drool to think of them. When you're ready, I'm sure you'll create a wonderful pineapple field. Thanks for stopping by.

Jacq, here's more evidence of putting my hands in many different baskets and collecting a closet-full of UFOs . . . okay, I'm working on completing my projects . . . working on them. Hah! Thanks for your friendship. Hey, it's almost our birthday!

Hi, T. Maybe I should spice it up with some bright green, what do you think? Thanks for visiting and for your friendship.