Saturday, December 12, 2009

Making Magic--WIP--Part 2

© 2009 Fannie Narte

BEFORE THE DISCOVERY PHASE

The "Discovery Phase" is the best part of the process of working with watersoluble wax pastels--blending the pigments with water. That's when the magic takes place. You stand before your fabric with a cup of clean water and a brush in hand, and without a plan, without expectations, you put your wet brush to the piece and let things happen.

LET THE MAGIC HAPPEN

That's key--let things happen, release your muse and let your art flow from your heart through your hand. Silence your logical mind and partner with your brush and water and let magic happen. Let your heart dictate the amount of water you apply, the amount of pressure you use and where you apply it. Let your heart dictate the movement of your brush.

IMPRESSIONIST ART

If you like impressionist art like I do, the beauty of making magic with this medium is that the results are unimaginably surprisingly beautiful. If you consider yourself a realist, then you may not agree with my words. But if you keep an open mind, you'll recognize that the excitement of the process of creating is a common feeling all artists share regardless of your choice of medium or style of art.

PART 2
THE DISCOVERY PHASE

This part of the process is about being one with your art. This is when your heart comes out to play and it molds your colors into a form that is an outward expression of your spirit, your soul. See yesterday's post for Part 1 of Making Magic.

APPLY GUTTA

Now that I've told you to release control, I'm going to tell you that I applied clear gutta (a tool used by silk painters) to act as a resist to create leaves, to control the blending of the colors. ;-D Balance . . .

After the gutta dried, I blended the pigments with water and my fan brush one flower at a time, including the background, until the entire piece was wet.

FAN FOLD AND DRY

While the fabric was still wet, I fan folded the piece and let it air dry overnight. I thought the fan folding might add texture and interest to the design. Here it is.

HEAT SET

After the fabric dried, I heat set the colors using an iron.

NEXT STAGE: QUILTING PHASE

The next phase is the quilting stage. This is where I find the images in my piece.

4 comments:

Regina said...

great tips! I love the fan folding idea, too.

Stephanie Pettengell said...

Fannie you have such a special way with words, it is no surprise you are a good teacher, I wait again until tomorrow with interest and excitement.

Jacq said...

I love your indepth instructions. I've been busy making 8 bears (from your pattern and 8 sets of PJ's for my grandkids). Neocolor II are on my list of to do's.

Fannie said...

Hi, Regina. Yes, the fan folding idea is a keeper. I have ideas for this technique in my next project. Thanks for following.

Hi, Stephanie. Thanks for your encouragement and interest. Glad you're enjoying my posts. Thank you.

Hi, Jacq. You have been busy! It's nice to know my bears are going to loving homes. ;-D I thought of naming my bear pattern "Bear Hugs" because their arms are open for hugs. Good to hear from you. Thank you.