Sunday, December 13, 2009

MAKING MAGIC--WIP--PART 3

Close up of quilted Poinsettia 1
© 2009 Fannie Narte

You're watching my process in real time, and I hope you're enjoying the magic. Feel free to click on the photos for an enlarged version in order to see more details.

Up to this point, most of my art quilts are quilted with two threads: black for the outline of the images and irridescent thread for the stipple quilting done on the background. For this project, I chose to do the quilting differently.

THE QUILTING PHASE

After studying the piece, I choose an image near the center of the project to begin my quilting. I chose the second poinsettia from the top. Quilting from the center and moving outwards results in nice, even quilting.

Without a sketch or contour lines, I pick a starting point and intuitively free motion quilt the petals and veins in one continuous stitch going over a line at times in order to get to my next quilting point. My sewing machine and thread are my sketching tools.

The stamens of the poinsettia were stitched with gold metallic thread. The photo doesn't show the contrast between the pink and gold threads. In real life, you would be able to see a slight contrast.

Here is a look at the entire piece with one of the poinsettias quilted.

In tomorrow's post, the next poinsettia will be quilted, and you may see some quilting around some of the leaves, too.

If you have any questions or need clarification, please ask.

You can read about this Poinsettias work-in-progress art quilt by clicking this link.

Thanks for your comments and for following along. Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

1 comment:

Stephanie Pettengell said...

Fannie, you are an artist that lives art, that is why you produce such wonderful things. It is a pleasure to see you work.