Sunday, January 24, 2010

Self-Portrait--The Artist as Quilt Workshop With Sue Benner

A Rose With Thorns is a Diamond in the Rough, Quilt, 42" x 54"
© 2009 Fannie Narte

For the past few months, I've been working on this large quilt. This is one of the reasons for my silence on this blog after the holidays. But . . . I took a day off from this quilt to attend a one-day workshop with Sue Benner, and I'm glad I did.

Hopeful, Imaginative, Magician . . .

Those are the three adjectives I chose to describe myself at yesterday's great fiber art self-portrait workshop with Sue Benner, which was hosted by Dallas Area Fiber Artists (DAFA). Those who know me and follow my blog may understand why I chose those words. However, strangers may find the last adjective "strange." Hah!

Deborah invited me to join the DAFA group, and I'm grateful for her invitation. I think it's natural for us to form subjective impressions when meeting someone new. Deborah's friendly e-mails matched her welcoming spirit, which mirrored the entire DAFA group as a whole.

Those who follow my blog know that I am selective in my book and class recommendations. I only blog about good books or classes. This trait may be from the influences of my mom: "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."

Sue is an excellent well-seasoned lecturer/teacher. Her Power Point presentation was visually inspiring, and her teaching style was accommodating and purposeful. She communicated with each student as a guide, helping each person find her way through her piece by presenting ideas, questions and offering encouragement. Whether you are a visual, tactile, auditory or reading/writing learner, Sue satisfies each student's learning style. Her well-written handouts, well-chosen reference books, meaningful and direct words, and general teaching style is sure to satisfy any student's creative appetite. She's also clever and fun.

If you get a chance to take one of her workshops, you won't be disappointed. Californians at the Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar 2010 will get a chance to pick her brain during February 21-26. If you're in the area, I would highly recommend Sue's five-day workshop.

Curious, Accepting, True

These are the three adjectives I hope my friends will think of when they think of me.

Loving, Growing, Playful

These are the adjectives I hope my family will think of when they think of me.

Maybe I should have said "dreamer" instead of "magician." First impressions . . . I choose to live heartfully and artfully . . .

What three adjectives describe you? One of them should be "elevator."

10 comments:

Dale Anne said...

Looks FABULOUS!!!

Kat said...

"Magician" sounds like a wonderful description to me. I just love the magick that I see in your quilt. The color combinations, the way the eye travels on the quilt. I guess I could go on and on, but. . . . It's simply "magickal". I for one am in awe. Stunning work!
Kat

Tonya Littmann said...

Fannie,
I enjoyed getting to know you yesterday.
I also enjoyed looking at your work. Fabulous!

I hope to see you at the meeting tomorrow night.
Tonya

Fannie said...

Thanks for stopping by, Dale Ann. Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Tonya, your friendliness was as warm as the iron on our table. Thanks for making my experience yesterday a happy one. You shared your heart and your talents so freely. Thanks!

Jacq said...

Your workshop sounds wonderful. A couple of other adjectives that come to mind when I think about you would be caring and inspiring.

Deborah Boschert said...

It was such a delight to meet you. I am so happy that you came. I agree. It was an excellent workshop.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Jacq, my elevator, my twin at heart. ;-D

Deborah, you were heaven sent. My heart has been dancing since the workshop. Thank you for that first e-mail.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Kat. "Elevator."

quiltcrazygal said...

The workshop sounds so wonderful. Fannie your quilt is beautiful also. You continue to be such an inspiration to me:) Thanks for sharing. Jenna Louise

Fannie said...

Hi, Jenna Louise. You would have enjoyed the workshop. You are an inspiration to me. Enjoy!