Wednesday, January 13, 2010

She Remembered Me--Mixed Media Art Quilt

She Remembered Me When She Heard Our Song, Art Quilt, 9" x 12"
© 2009 Fannie Narte

Music is powerful. It can open hard hearts. It can soften broken hearts. It can heal pain. It can heighten the emotions of celebrations. It can open a pathway to the secret place where memories live.

THE POWER OF MUSIC AND LOVE

Long ago, I and a small group of friends visited a woman who lived at a local convalescent home. This woman was young. She was in her mid-30's. By the photos beside her bed, she was the mother of three young children. We entered her room and gathered around her bed. She did not acknowledge our presence and she had a vacant look. We gave her our gifts and our words of good wishes. Still no response.

The nurse was present and explained her condition and told us not to expect a response from this woman.

I was near this woman, and I looked into her eyes and wondered if she knew we were there, and if she did know, was she responding to us from her silent world but we weren't able to hear her?

While the other women chatted amongst themselves, I was lost in this woman's world. I couldn't help but reach out to her. I moved her long stringy hair away from her cheeks and stroked the top of her head several times. She didn't move or speak, but her eyes began to fill with tears. There is no scientific proof, but at that moment, I felt that she knew I cared.

The women in the room continued their chatter while I silently stroked this woman's head. After a few minutes, we said our good-byes, sang our Valentine's song and left her room.

I was the last to leave. I held her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. She returned the squeeze with a soft grip and murmured a sound. I don't know what she said, but I believe she expressed her gratitude. At that moment, two hearts communicated in a silent world.

A gentle touch, music . . . love . . . these are powerful keys that open closed hearts and minds.

This art quilt will be donated to AAQI to help raise funds to find a cure for Alzheimer's.

A gentle touch, music, love . . .

8 comments:

marianne said...

What a beautiful touching story.
It takes just a little to reach out....
So sweet of you that you didn't give up and to donate the beautiful quilt for the good cause.
Great way to start the New Year!

Jacq said...

Beautiful. We should never underestimate ourselves and what we can do to uplift others.

Vicki W said...

Beautiful!

Brenda said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes - you are such a special person Fannie. I love your art quilt - she is beautiful. The words you use to describe your thoughts behind the pieces are always so eloquent and meaningful.

Kelly said...

Oh Fannie, what a beautiful story, and a beautiful quilt to go along with it.

Peggy Schroder said...

Fannie-I am glad I returned to your blog later today when I found time to read your story...you're a gentle and kind soul.

Sherry said...

Fannie, This is wonderful. You are such a beautiful person.

Fannie said...

Thanks, Marianne. Yes, you're right--a good way to start the new year. Glad you stopped by.

You're right, Jacq. You've been my elevator these past three years--thanks.

Thanks, Vicki. Love your fabrics.

Thanks, Brenda. You made my heart dance.

Kelly, my life's experiences have given me many such stories, some will be shared, and some will be kept safe in my heart. Thanks for your words.

Thanks, Peggy. Gentle and kind soul . . . I hope that phrase to be a part of my legacy. It would make a good epitaph, too. Thanks so much for inviting me to participate with you in ToteTuesday. Your enthusiasm is contagious.

Ditto, Sherry . . . Ditto.