Thursday, April 1, 2010

Contemplating--Mixed Media Fiber Art

Contemplating (Working Title), Mixed Media Fiber Art, 18" x 22"
© 2010 Fannie Narte

THE QUILT ON THE FLOOR


This is one of the pieces on my floor "waiting" for me to make decisions. The elements on this piece are not secured. They're temporarily placed in this composition, and each time I walk past it, I move things around trying different combinations, considering the colors and lines, deciding if I want three beads or five beads . . . thinking about its design and "feeling" the piece. When the design looks okay, I walk away and paint more fabrics or work on sewing a different art quilt or take a walk in my garden. Even though I'm working on something else, I'm still thinking about that quilt on the floor.

Sometimes this process is quick and in a day, I'm ready to take my quilt to the sewing machine. Other times, like with this piece, the process takes longer. I've had this quilt on my floor for weeks now for several reasons. One reason is that my time was interrupted to work on projects with deadlines. But I must confess, the main reason that I haven't taken the time to focus on this piece is because it doesn't have a deadline.

I find that I need a deadline or a goal to move me forward. Without these self-imposed due dates, I find myself doing more playing and thinking and not enough decision making and commitments.

"Contemplating" sounded like a good working title for this piece. Both the background fabric and the center square has text written with silver resist. That text could represent the thoughts and noise of the "contemplation." Yellow and purple fabric beads may find a home on this piece . . . maybe.

How about you? Do you need a deadline to move you forward?

UFO's On My Floor

Oh, and by the way, I have three other quilts on the floor . . . waiting . . .

Contemplating my next move . . . waiting . . . artfully,

4 comments:

Cori Lynn Berg said...

Hi Fannie.. I definitely need, if not a deadline, a goal in mind... But I also find that sometimes I end the creative process on a piece too soon, without exploring it fully. I do find that after I've had a night's sleep, I can come to a piece with new eyes. Sometimes I'm more content and the process is finished. Today.. I started over though and eventually abandoned what I was doing... just couldn't make it work!

Fannie said...

Hi, Cori. Great to hear your thoughts, ideas and your art making process. I can relate to your experience of abandoning a project. Even though a project is abandoned, the lessons and joy that comes with the experience is wonderful, isn't it? I wish you joy each day in your studio. Thanks for visiting.

NANCY LEFKO said...

love the colors...love the text !!

Diana Evans said...

Beautiful work Fannie!!! you are so creative with your fiber art!!! lovely colours!!!

Hugs
Diana