Friday, April 30, 2010

Somewhere in the Middle--Art Quilt

Somewhere in the Middle, Art Quilt, 12" x 12"
© 2010 Fannie Narte

Playing with my paper piece pattern . . . this is a "wonky" shot of a quilt made with twelve 3-inch squares using my hand painted fabrics.

A different perspective of the same quilt.

Naming this quilt came quite easily. While playing with the placement of these blocks--the possibilities are endless--I thought about conversations, conversations with people, effective communication, the effects of miscommunication . . .

The title of this piece comes from the idea that two people engage in communication from their own perspectives. They share their thoughts and ideas and sometimes begin in "different corners," and as they continue to exchange their opinions, although their opinions may be different, understanding develops, and somehow they end up somewhere in the middle.

My husband and I have stimulating conversations. We talk about a broad range of subjects, and although we may not be experts in the subject, we freely share our opinions . . . Hah! We talk about health care in America as compared to health care in Europe, the oil spill and its domino effects on the economy and the ecology, the Goldman Sachs troubles, real estate investment, my various art projects strewn across the floor, watching "Avatar" again, our next vacation . . . and occasionally we discuss serious things like how we could help our children and how we should not interfere with their choices. We usually end up making a decision that puts us "somewhere in the middle."

Ahhhh, the joys of womanhood, motherhood, wifehood, grandmotherhood . . . and the joys of artisthood--wait . . . is that a word?

Effective communication is a skill. It requires practice. Practice is done by sharing thoughts and ideas verbally.

It's kind of like creating art. Creating any form of art is a skill. It requires practice. Practice is done by expressing thoughts and ideas by creating designs and compositions using various media.

Communication is a form of expression; creating art is a form of expression.

Communication is stimulating; creating art is stimulating.

Communication is a powerful tool; creating art is a powerful tool.

Communication is necessary; creating art is necessary . . . to the artist . . .

Communication . . . creating art . . . different, but same . . .

Just like the sky and the earth . . . different, but same . . .

Creating art . . . creative expression, communication--different, but same.

These fabrics are some of the things I've been doing. Yummmmmeeeee colors. These were not scrunched. A different look.

Finding yourself somewhere in the middle is a good thing at the right times. At other times, it's good to be bold and expressive.

Express yourself--create your art.

P.S. Thanks for letting me practice my "communication skills." Please don't grade me.

4 comments:

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful title and philosophy.
I have never done paper piecing, but have seen it done.

Debbie

Jacq said...

Great thoughts, sounds like Don and me. Love your little quilt.

NANCY LEFKO said...

wonderful post...I guess hubby and I have stimulating conversations too...just never really thought about it before :) and...the quilt is SCRUMPTIOUS!! And....I saw another quilt of yours in an ad for a Stampington art quilting magazine...how cool is that !!! Congrats !!

Beth said...

Love the new quilt Fannie! Your communication skills through your art and kindness always gets an A+ in my gradebook! (Sorry, I'm a teacher...I think in grades! lol)