Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Art Quilt With No Name


Untitled, Art Quilt, 18" x 18"
© 2010 Fannie Narte

Are you like me? Do you have more than one art quilt, painting, or project going on at the same time? My projects are strewn across my studio floor, all at different stages: the idea stage, the design stage, the fabric painting stage, the assembly stage, the piecing stage, the quilting stage, the embellishment stage, the mounting stage, etc. In between all of these stages, there's the "waiting" stage or the "leave-on-the-floor-study" stage. In other words, my floor is a collage of UFO's.

Does this sound familiar? Are you like me?

UNTITLED

"Untitled." A quilt with no name. It doesn't feel right to have a project without a name. It's like working on a project that is . . . invisible . . . blank--empty. Even works in progress should have a name. I mean, we're all works in progress, right? And we each have a unique name--except for all the people named "John Smith" or "Jane Doe." I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I haven't come across anyone else with the name "Fannie Narte." Go ahead . . . Google it and see. I have several theories on why that is so. Hah!

So here's another art quilt project I'm working on--without a name.

I used my hand painted fabrics that resemble flowers for the background and the hexagon shape appliques. Then I added black and white fabric paints to create depth. This is ready to be quilted, along with my other two work-in-progress art quilts: "Sweet Blossom" and "Meditation."

If you're interested in how I created these fabrics using muslin and Neocolor II wax crayons, click HERE.

So, are you like me?

Do you have UFO's all over your creative space?

Are you like me?

A work in progress?

Are you like me?

Do you feel lucky to have a space to call your own, a space to play, to formulate ideas, to design, to paint, to assemble, to piece, to quilt, to embellish, to mount . . . to "leave-on-the-floor to study"?

My guess is that there are a lot of you out there just like me . . . ???

. . . Passionate about creating, passionate about playing with fabric, with paint, with colored pencils, with metals, with paper, with stamps, with beads, with colors, with design, with composition . . .

. . . Passionate about expressing what's in your heart . . .

From the moment we give birth to the idea of a piece, the project receives our energy. We put our heart and souls into every stitch, every brush stroke, every pencil stroke.

Are you like me? Lucky to have UFO's all over my creative space.

Are you like me? A work in progress?

Are you like me? Happy to have my own unique name and lucky to be an artist?

We are more alike than we are different. I'm lucky . . . are you like me?

4 comments:

WoolenSails said...

The fabrics look so wonderful in your art piece.
I will have to try that technique.

Debbie

Fannie said...

Hi, Debbie! Have fun playing with this technique. Hope you're enjoying your summer. ♥♫♥

Diane said...

Lots of UFO's - most in piles with bits and pieces that will maybe eventually become a part of them. It will be YEARS before I finish all the pieces I have in my head!

Scrappy Cat said...

Yes, I'm like you . . . I have lots of UFO's all over my creative space. I'm a work in progress (aren't we all?). I feel lucky to have my own space (although at the moment, it has stuff in it from our guest room, so our son and daughter-in-law have a place to sleep for a few days' visit - but that also makes me feel lucky).