Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rose Garden--Hand Painted Fabric

Rose Garden, Hand Painted Fabric, 18" x 22"

I've been working on several large quilts, more AAQI quilts and project submissions. When I can share those projects with you, I'll post it here. In the meantime, this is one of my newest experiments--a painted piece of fabric using Neocolor II.

Rose Garden has several layers. The first layer was painted with salmon pink Neocolor II. It was scrunched, opened and partially dried. Purple was added to the semi-wet fabric, salt was added, and the piece was left to dry overnight. Black lines were painted to emphasize the whimsical roses.

I think I will use this piece in a quilt . . . thinking . . . I'm not sure . . . . I painted another piece of fabric with similar colors, which could be used in the same quilt.

Here's a closer look at the fabric.

What have you been doing lately? Would enjoy hearing about your projects.

Hope you're enjoying your weekend.

Aloha!

10 comments:

Scrappy Cat said...

Hi Fannie - very fun piece! Did you use paint or pen to draw your black lines? I went to a fun quilting retreat earlier this week, now I'm trying to catch up on my latest watercolor class from Laure Ferlita.

Vicki W said...

It's beautiful!

Jacq said...

Looks like you are having fun. Are the Neocolor II permanent? Do they need to be heat set?

Janet said...

Oh, Fannie, that is just fantastic! It's so whimsical and pretty.

WoolenSails said...

I just love how those crayons look on fabric.
I haven't been doing too much creating, just making things to give as gifts, but getting back into wanting to design and create my own things. Taking a mini vacation soon, so hopefully that will help clear the cobwebs.

Debbie

Duff said...

Beautiful! this would be drop dead gorgeous with some beading for an AAQI mini quilt.

Lisa M Griffin said...

Lovely Fannie. The colors are so sweet... makes me think that it would be part of something wonderful for a young girl. Can't wait to see what you create from it. Thanks for sharing and have a great day.

Fannie said...

Hi, Cheryl. I used paint to draw the lines using a syringe. Sounds like you're enjoying your artful life. Good for you!

Thanks, Vicki. How's retirement?

Hi, Jacq. Yes, the fabric needs to be heat set with an iron.

Thanks, Janet. It is a fun, whimsical piece, isn't it? Nice to hear from you.

Hi, Debbie. Where are you going? Hope you clear the cobwebs and fill it with inspiration during your trip. Thanks for stopping by.

Hi, Duff. Love your idea. Maybe I'll paint another piece for AAQI. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hi, Lisa. It would look good in a girls room . . . like Alyssa's? Hah! Congrats on your illustrated book. BRAVO! Keep going...

Scrappy Cat said...

I never would have thought to use a syringe - interesting idea Fannie!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

What a lovely, feminine combination! Makes me want to start coloring!