Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pacific Fine Art--What a Treat!



Pacific Fine Art
Kona Inn Shopping Village
75-5744 Alii Drive
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii  96740

We went walking along Kailua Bay and found the Pacific Fine Art, a gallery of excellent oil paintings, graphics, limited edition prints and 3-D works by local and international artists. 

Before today, I had not heard of Michael W. Sheeler.  He is an internationally collected marine life artist who was painting in real life at the Pacific Fine Art Gallery.  What a treat to watch him paint.


I had so many questions to ask, but I kept them to myself--so difficult--and just watched him work.  He was in a zone, and I didn't want to interrupt his creative flow.

Michael had the image of the turtle on a computer monitor to the right of him.  He carefully added intricate details to the turtle's fin giving it dimension.  His work is amazingly realistic. 

Within a matter of seconds, I was in Michael's world. I could have stroked the turtle's shell as he swam past me.  The honu (turtle) and me, both staring at each other in silence, both aware of the important marks that were being made.

In silence, the honu was learning to swim in his watery world . . . in silence, I was learning to respect the creative flow of an artist at play in his magical world.


Here he looks like he's studying his work, probably contemplating his next mark, his choice of color maybe . . .  It was a treat to watch him work, but boy was it difficult to hush the noises in my head.

If you ever visit Kona on the Big Island, be sure to drop by the Pacific Fine Art.  It's like walking into a museum.

5 comments:

kiwicarole said...

Hope you're having a fab time catching up with family Fannie!
Happy travels x

Linda Moran said...

Watching artists at work, especially in their natural element, is so wonderful. And there is something just so inspiring about the waters and islands of Hawaii. I would want to ask all those questions, too!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Looks amazing Fannie! I am so jealous, one of the places that I would truly love to visit some day!

Scrappy Cat said...

What a wonderful experience that must have been. I hope you're having a wonderful visit with your mom!

WoolenSails said...

Lucky you, to see not only his work, but Michael at the studio. They asked my husband if he wanted to work in Hawaii this winter. I would love to visit, but not sure if I would want to stay for 7 months.

Debbie