Friday, July 23, 2010

She Remembered Me When She Heard Our Song, AAQI Online Art Quilt Auction


She Remembered Me When She Heard Our Song, Art Quilt, 9" x 12"
© 2009 Fannie Narte

So glad I brought my computer to Hawaii, and grateful that I have relatives with wireless internet.

This morning I received the list of art quilts in the next AAQI's online auction beginning August 1-10.  My last available quilt, "She Remembered Me When She Heard Our Song," is included among many other wonderful quilts by artists with BIG hearts.

While visiting relatives, I am learning of the heartbreak that my family members are experiencing as they watch loved ones slowly deteriorate.  Their stories have inspired new AAQI quilts which are surfing in my head and waiting to catch the next wave to shore.  ;-D

The following is my artist statement of this quilt, which was originally published on my blog on January 13, 2010.

Music is powerful. It can open hard hearts. It can soften broken hearts. It can heal pain. It can heighten the emotions of celebrations. It can open a pathway to the secret place where memories live.


THE POWER OF MUSIC AND LOVE

Long ago, I and a small group of friends visited a woman who lived at a local convalescent home. This woman was young. She was in her mid-30's. By the photos beside her bed, she was the mother of three young children. We entered her room and gathered around her bed. She did not acknowledge our presence and she had a vacant look. We gave her our gifts and our words of good wishes. Still no response.


The nurse was present and explained her condition and told us not to expect a response from this woman.

I was near this woman, and I looked into her eyes and wondered if she knew we were there, and if she did know, was she responding to us from her silent world but we weren't able to hear her?

While the other women chatted amongst themselves, I was lost in this woman's world. I couldn't help but reach out to her. I moved her long stringy hair away from her cheeks and stroked the top of her head several times. She didn't move or speak, but her eyes began to fill with tears. There is no scientific proof, but at that moment, I felt that she knew I cared.

The women in the room continued their chatter while I silently stroked this woman's head. After a few minutes, we said our good-byes, sang our Valentine's song and left her room.

I was the last to leave. I held her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. She returned the squeeze with a soft grip and murmured a sound. I don't know what she said, but I believe she expressed her gratitude. 

At that moment, two hearts communicated in a silent world.

A gentle touch, music . . . love . . . these are powerful keys that open closed hearts and minds.

I hope you will consider supporting our efforts to find a cure for this devastating disease.

Trying to help raise funds to find a cure for Alzheimer's one art quilt at a time.

A gentle touch, music, love . . .


8 comments:

Duff said...

IN a blogging world of quick words, thank you for taking your time to find just the right thing to say. Your quilt and message are both heartfelt and extraordinary♥

Looking forward to when the thoughts surfing in your head make it to shore.

Jacq said...

Fannie, your quilt is wonderful. I am so happy for you that you were able to visit with family and friends.

Jacq said...

Fannie, your quilt is wonderful. I am so happy for you that you were able to visit with family and friends.

Beth said...

Fannie, that is both touching and extraordinary! Thank you so much for all you do for AAQI. You touch many lives with your kindness. Hugs!

Regina said...

I thank God for your sensitive heart. I do believe, like you, that we communicate with those who seem to have lost that ability.
Your quilt is a beautiful tribute.

WoolenSails said...

What a beautiful story and a beautiful piece for the cause. I have worked in home care with the elderly and truly, being there and giving love is so precious to them.

Debbie

Diana Evans said...

oh wow Fannie!!! this is amazing ....so beautiful....I have missed popping by here ....

Hugs
Diana

Kelly Warren said...

what a beautiful message, fannie. thank you so much.