Thursday, August 12, 2010

Honu--WIP and Mystery Revealed

Honu, Mixed Media Fiber Art, 8" x 8"
© 2010 Fannie Narte
Here's another piece in my "Island Series," works of art inspired by my recent trip to Hawaii.  Titled "Honu," the Hawaiian word for "turtle," the background piece and cut out image of the turtle were created from my fabric papers.  Texture was added using modeling paste and painted with various colors of acrylic paints.  I have several layers of painting left to do, including layers of gloss to seal the entire piece.

MYSTERY REVEALED



What do you see?  Do you see what I see?
Were you able to guess what inspired my color selections for my latest pieces mentioned in yesterday's post?

Everything I see affects me in some way.  

The rhythm of the waves rushing to shore and crashing against lava rocks may inspire a drum beat, or it may take me back, way back to the days of my youth, and I hear my cousins and friends laughing and daring each other to jump from that high rock into the ocean.

Driving along the Hamakua Coast on the Big Island listening to the island music and enjoying the lush vegetation and -- like magic, a massive colorful and perfectly shaped rainbow appears.  Hoping it's not a dream and hoping this vision doesn't disappear before I get my camera out of my purse, then taking massive photos, evidence of my experience . . . then driving under that perfectly shaped arch . . . afraid that if I blink, everything will disappear--and I really believe I can find that pot of gold.


I see beauty all around.  Yes, everything I see makes all of my senses dance.


You may see a plate, but I see turtles dancing to shore.  

You may see the color blue, but I hear the ocean waves reaching out to the shores.  

You may see a square, but I see an island bordered by rocky beaches around its perimeter and the center of the island is a creative mystery.  Flowers, petroglyphs, turtles or birds live there, and they come out to play on the surfaces of my canvases or quilts.

What I see inspires me in some way.  It gets my attention.  It takes me to that magical world, my world, my own creative space in my mind.  It makes my heart dance.  It makes my heart sing.


How do you see?


6 comments:

Ann Kullberg said...

Beautifully put, Fannie. Love this!

Vicki W said...

Not as well as you!

WoolenSails said...

Usually I do see things in objects, and my kids think I am weird, lol. I need to slow down and start enjoying the little things again and enjoy creating instead of making.

Debbie

Jacq said...

Your eyes always see beauty in everything. I love that about you, you inspire me.

quiltcrazygaljennalouise said...

I see so much beauty in the world...I try to take time to see what little things have to offer around me. Thanks for a beautiful posting.

Lisa M Griffin said...

I agree that nature is wonderful creative motivator and inspiration. Thank you for sharing Fannie.