Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Ki'i Pohaku, Petroglyphs, Mixed Media Fiber Art--WIP

Working Title "Ki'i Pohaku," Mixed Media Fiber Art, 12" x 9"
© 2010 Fannie Narte

Ki'i = picture or image

Pohaku = stone

Ki'i Pohaku = image in stone
or

"Petroglyphs"

The background of this artwork is a piece of my fabric paper.  Modeling paste was added to the inner border and layers of acrylic paints were added to create texture.  

The three petroglyphs of men are representations of actual petroglyphs found at Puako.  They were made by crocheting lengths of cotton thread which were used to form each petroglyph.  They were secured to the piece with gel medium.

Three blue fabric beads made from muslin still need to be secured in place.  I'm pondering whether to stitch or sew it into place . . . ???


THE INSPIRATION

This piece is inspired by my recent trip to Hawaii.  As a young girl, our family made many weekend fishing trips to Puako located in South Kohala.  It was there that I first saw petroglyphs while exploring the camp site.


The following are photographs of lava rocks found on the beach at Puuhonua O Honaunau National Park (City of Refuge):

"Breaking a kapu was believed to incur the wrath of the gods. Hawaiians often chased down an offender and swiftly put him to death unless he could reach a puuhonua, or place of refuge. There he could be absolved by a kahuna (priest) in a purification ceremony, then return home with his transgression forgiven. Defeated warriors and non-combatants could also find refuge here during times of battle.
Aloha-Hawaii


These rocks are representative of the rocks I remember seeing as a child at Puako beach.
 


I love the interesting lines in these photos.


This one has remnants of salt left over from the high tide.

Here's another one with interesting lines.

My cousin made the trip to City of Refuge the day I took these and hundreds of other photos.  She thought I was "unique" for taking so many photos of . . . common . . . ordinary . . . "rocks." 
♥♫♥

And one more.  These photos have inspired designs that will eventually show up in my future pieces.

Although the idea for this piece was inspired by my trip to Hawaii, the colors were inspired by something closer to home.  Can you guess what inspired my color selections?  I'll reveal the inspiration tomorrow.  You may be surprised . . . or not . . . it's a mystery . . . hmmmmm . . .

Until tomorrow . . .

3 comments:

Linda Moran said...

really beautiful - I have been missing Maui a lot lately.

Fannie said...

Hi, Linda. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you get to Maui sometime in the near future. ♥♫♥

WoolenSails said...

I used to collect photos of petroglpyhs, love the simple art work and great for inspiration. Not sure what is in your area, but I know I have seen formations like that somewhere. Another beautiful piece filled with memories for you.

Debbie