Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Morning Page




How do you start your creative day?  Do you enter your studio each day with a cup of coffee or tea and get straight to work on your project? 

I start my day with a morning page.

THE ARTIST'S WAY


I discovered Julia Cameron's book "The Artist's Way" when taking writing classes at our local college many years ago.  The book is a "course in discovering and recovering your creative self."  Julia suggests that a "lasting creative awakening requires the consistent use of two tools in creative recovery:  the morning pages and the artist date."  Daily writing is a habit and something that I "need" to do each day.  It's my daily cleansing ritual, a few minutes to "write my mind--right my mind" so that I can start fresh.


Other creative tools such as zentangles and mandalas are fun, easy and nonjudgmental, and they fill my "artsy" well.  Although I enjoy doodling, I missed hearing the blends of consonants, the sounds of long and short vowels, forming the curves from one letter to the next, and searching for the one perfect word to give meaning to my emotions.  


Today, my morning pages are a combination of writing and painting.  Instead of filling three pages of longhand writing as recommended by Julia, I write on an 8" square of my fabric paper.  Then I quickly add color and my morning page is done.  It's quick, and it's nonjudgmental.  I take 15 to 20 minutes for each page.  I don't worry about design elements or composition.  There's no art police to critique my morning page.  I just write what's on my mind and play with color.

This is a sample of what my fabric paper looked like before I added my journal writing and paints.

How do you start your creative day?
Thanks for stopping by and being a part of my creative day.


 

6 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I start out with way too many interruptions and things to do, lol. Some people don't seem to get that I do not stay home, just to play with creating;) I need to find a hideaway.

Debbie

Fannie said...

Hi, Debbie. You're welcome to my home if you need a hideaway. We can "play art" without interruptions. Does that sound good? Come over. ♥♫♥

bois-fleurie said...

I have had julia's book for a long time and forgotten all about it. I am pleased to have found your blog and to be reminded about it. The way you start your day is such a good idea I need to do something like it.
Thanks Jill

Diana Evans said...

Hi Fannie!!! I always start my day with coffee and a walk to the studio...and then I think about what I want to work on that day!!!

Love your new pieces....!!!

Jacq said...

Great post, I love fabric paper. Coffee, oatmeal and blog surfing is how I start my day.

Lisa M Griffin said...

We are on the same wavelength Fannie. I posted last week about a similar topic based on the book "The Creative Habit". I think creative routines are so important (and yes coffee too) to keep artists organized and in a creative zone.
Thanks for sharing! :)