Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Morning Paintings


On September 1st, I shared my morning page done on fabric paper, inspired by Julia Cameron's "morning pages" as described in her book "The Artist's Way." 

Since then, my pages have evolved.  Instead of creating morning pages to fill a journal, I thought, "Why not journal and paint on fabric and use those painted fabrics in my art quilts?"  That sounded like a great idea and it made the practical part of my heart dance.

The above piece was done on silk using Neocolor II.  Gold resist was used for the journal writing.

MORNING PAINTINGS

I also changed the term from "morning page" to "Morning Painting(s)."  My goal is to do one morning painting each day for the entire month of September. On some days, however, I paint two or three.  When you know the art police isn't looking over your shoulder and "uh-humphing" after every brush stroke and "tsk-tsk-tsking" every design choice, you feel free to try new things, to make splashes and splotches and . . . even . . . mud.  No one is there to question the marks you make.  No one is there to demand an explanation or to give you a design or composition lecture.

I believe in the four M's: Mistakes, Mud, and Mess.  

All right, all right.  I hear you, and you're right.  I mentioned only three M's . . . so far . . .

Ahhhhhh . . . when you allow yourself to make Mistakes, to make Mud and to make Messes . . . MAGIC . . . happens.

BEGIN EACH DAY WITH MORNING PAINTINGS

I begin each day in my studio with a morning painting.  I love it.  It is quick, easy, and fun.  It is a nonjudgmental routine that gives me the "experience" of completing a project.  It builds self-confidence.  It's the feeling that you get when you check that chore off of your "To-Do" list.  Ahhhh . . . "I did it." Satisfaction.

Using my Morning Painting in an Art Quilt

This is one of my morning paintings done on silk using Neocolor II and gold resist for the journal writing, which was used as an applique piece in the following art quilt, a work in progress for an upcoming project.

Untitled, Mixed Media Art Quilt, 9" x 12"
© 2010 Fannie Narte


Here is the piece in an unfinished art quilt . . .

AN INVITATION

Maybe you can try your hand at Morning Paintings . . . who knows what will evolve for you in this daily practice?  Use paper, use fabric paper, use fabric . . . come up with something different to use as a ground . . . take only 15-20 minutes.  Give yourself a successful "experience" at the beginning of each day with "Morning Paintings."

Wishing you mistakes, mud, messes . . . and MAGIC,

Meow,
 

5 comments:

Martha Lever said...

Hi Fannie,
I love your morning paintings and I really should get out my copy of Artist Way and reread. It's such a great book!

Lisa M Griffin said...

Wonderful! And as a messy artist myself, I really connected. Enjoy the magic. ;)

Michelle said...

Love the four m's though this post definitely contained five (meow lol).

Fantastic !!! Have fun x

Fannie said...

Hi, Martha. Thanks for visiting. Yes, I keep this book handy in my studio and reread it at least once a year. ♥♫♥

Hi, Lisa. I wish you magic. ♥♫♥

Michelle, I'm glad you got my closing word as a fifth "m." I wondered if someone would notice, and you did. Thank you for letting me know. I think you deserve a prize for that one. ♥♫♥ Mwwah!

WoolenSails said...

What a great way to get the creativity going, without pressure. Love the kitty piece. I have a fun one I got and did it in stichery, but might try it in paint, then machine stitching.

Debbie