Friday, September 24, 2010

Three Maile Leaves



Three Maile Leaves, Mixed Media, 8x8
© 2010 Fannie Narte


The maile leaf grows on a vine and can be found in the forests of Hawaii. These vines are harvested and usually crafted into leis. The maile lei has a long history and is connected to the legendary "Laka," the goddess of hula. In ancient Hawaii, the maile was given as a peace offering in times of battle. The maile lei is often reserved for special occasions and is considered the traditional wedding lei.

The giving of a lei is special to the island people. It is a symbol of love, honor and respect.

THE CREATION OF THREE MAILE LEAVES

Three maile leaves were dried, sealed, painted and mounted onto a 3/4" traditional profile 8x8 stretched canvas.  A piece of my fabric paper was glued to the stretched canvas and molding paste was added to create a border inspired by lava rocks.  This piece has several layers of matte and gloss sealant for protection and to add shine.

This is the first of several Hawaiian art that will be added to my Etsy Shop in the coming weeks.

Have a great weekend.  Alo-o-o-ha!


1 comment:

Scrappy Cat said...

This is beautiful Fannie!

I wanted to tell you that I have the pin cushion you gave me right next to my sewing machine and I think of you every time I see it.

And I used little bits of the hand painted fabric you gave me in my latest quilt.

Have a wonderful weekend!