Monday, February 7, 2011

Artful Cloth--WIP

 T-Leaves 1
© 2011 Fannie Narte

Since my workshop with Jane Dunnewold, my fabric painting has evolved.  This shibori piece and all of my fabric paintings are painted with wax pastels.  I prefer wax pastels to dyes and discharge techniques because it's non toxic. 

I don't think my fabric paintings can be called "art cloth" because its not a long cloth, and I don't think it can be called "complex cloth" because it's not "complex."  Here, yet again, I find myself alone in a country with no name . . . yet.  So until I fit into one of these categories or any category, I'll call my fabric pieces "artful cloth."


T-Leaves 2
 © 2011 Fannie Narte

I used wax pastels to paint the background using the Shibori technique.  The darker t-leaf image lines were painted with acrylics using an original stencil.


T-leaf images are showing up in my work quite a bit these days.  It's probably because I have a long history with these leaves.  I wore skirts and lei's made from t-leaves when I was a dancer.  I helped my mom make a Hawaiian food item called "lau lau," which includes pork, taro leaves and salmon, before being placed in the "imu," the underground oven.  T-leaves were also used for medicinal purposes.  An amazing self-discovery moment . . . who knew . . . t-leaves . . .

Have you made any new self-discoveries lately?  Care to share?

5 comments:

Cori Lynn Berg said...

I wanna come play with you and neocolor one day! I always love what you do! ♥♪♥

Kelly Warren said...

very pretty! i really love the second one. i've started playing with used dryer sheets...and figuring out the best way to paint them. think i'm trying spray inks next. :-)

WoolenSails said...

I was experimenting with fabric pens, art pens and watercolor pencils, but I think I over did it this time, too much colors, so will see if it lightens up when it dries.

Debbie

Fannie said...

Hi, Cori. We can set a play date. Love your paintings too.

Kelly, sounds like you're having fun experimenting. Good for you! Will you use them in mixed media work?

Debbie, if you don't like what you see after your piece dries, apply a light wash (watered down white paint) over the darks parts or the areas you don't like; dry, and apply new colors over that or leave as is. You may need to be careful when applying wash over the watercolor pencil areas as it may not be waterproof. If so spray a sealant over that area before applying the wash. Are you working with paper or fabric?

When you end up with something you don't like, the process of "fixing" can be magical. When you add to or take away from the areas you don't like, you gain knowledge and skills that makes your art more unique and the process of artmaking becomes more enjoyable. I like when I find myself questioning my work because I know I'm about to enter the mysterious world of magic. Keep going. You're doing great.

Jacq said...

I love you "artful cloth". I enjoy doing shibori and will have to try doing it with wax pastels, sounds like a great way to do smaller pieces of fabric.