Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Me, My Shadow, My Hawaii

All Photos
© 2011 Fannie Narte

My morning walks along the ocean is a rejuvenating part of the day.  It's also a time to play with my camera and seeing through its lens.  Me and my shadow with me holding two plumerias photographed by me--it's all about me!  ;-D

Each day, I find plumerias along the walkway and pick up one or two and take it back home to sketch.  I think sketching the plumeria over and over in different compositions helps me to see it on a deeper level and I'm hoping I'll be able to get to a point where I'll "know" the plumeria so well that I'll be able to create my own version of the plumeria in abstract form but still keep its essence.

Further down the walkway, I came across shadows of palm trees and was inspired to play . . . here I am, in shadow form, enjoying the shade of a magical umbrella palm tree holding my plumerias.  Imagine . . .

Walking along the beach, peering over the cinder block wall, an abundance of Hawaii's delicacy--the opihi.  My father loved the ocean and was very good at harvesting the opihi.  He climbed down treacherous cliffs to harvest opihi in his favorite secret locations, fill his 25-pound rice bag and haul it back up the steep cliffs to bring it back home.  Some was made into soup for us.  Some was kept in our freezer, and most of it was bartered or sold to neighbors.  My father loved the ocean.



This is the view from the location of the opihis facing the direction of Kailua Bay.





 Another view looking in the same direction.
 My mom and dad swam in these waters in their younger days.

My Dad loved the ocean.
My Mom loves the ocean.
I LOVE the ocean.
 
Alo-o-o-ha!

3 comments:

WoolenSails said...

I love being near the ocean. This is the perfect time of year to enjoy walks, no crowds.

Debbie

Jacq said...

Wonderful pictures. The ocean is a wonderful place, there is something very spiritual about it.

quiltcrazygaljennalouise said...

I love the ocean also...so peaceful so calming. Thank you for the lovely photos, I posted your fabric panel today. I'm still thinking of a special project for it thank you again for your kindness.