Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Broken Wings--Art Quilt


Broken Wings, Art Quilt, 8" x 8.5"
© 2011 Fannie Narte

 Untitled now has a name: "Broken Wings"

This is a hand painted quilt with two borders made from commercial cotton fabrics.  It's embellished with beads, hand embroidery and is machine quilted.  Soon it will be registered and make its way to the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative.


ARTIST STATEMENT

If you study the design of this quilt, you will see images of yellow butterflies with broken wings.  If you drop a glass cup onto a cement floor, chances are that it will break into many pieces.  When someone experiences life-altering changes, a good one-word description of how that person may feel is "broken."  I think that an Alzheimer's patient and every family member of that Alzheimer's patient may feel broken.  What was once whole and is shattered into pieces is "broken." 

"Broken Wings" was inspired by these feelings.

The effects of Alzheimer's are life-shattering, life-altering, life-changing--devastating!

Feeling broken is devastating, but we must not let that feeling shatter our hope for a cure.  Everytime I donate a quilt to the AAQI, I feel like I'm helping to eliminate broken wings.  Everytime I donate a quilt to the AAQI, I feel like I'm increasing our chances of finding a cure.  Everytime I donate a quilt to the AAQI, I feel . . . hopeful.

To all who donate quilts, buy quilts or support the AAQI, BIG HUGS to you.  One day we will be able to say, "our hope has become a reality."

Remaining hopeful.

1 comment:

WoolenSails said...

That is such a beautiful quilt, you did an amazing job on the colors and embellishments and I love the meaning behind it.

Debbie