Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What is Pojagi?



Pojagi 1
 © 2012 Fannie Narte


EXPLORING POJAGI 

POJAGI (poh-jah-ghee) is a traditional Korean wrapping cloth used to cover or carry household items, food items or gifts.  They can be square or rectangular and of different sizes based on their specific use.  Traditionally, remnants from clothing such as Kimono or scraps of salvaged fabric such as silk, organza, cotton, linen, hemp or ramie are used to make pojagi.  The way the patches are connected and stitched is a part of its unique design and makes the pojagi a two-sided work of art.  The translucency, simplicity and drama of a hanging pojagi is artfully beautiful. 

Chunghie Lee is a fiber artist, lecturer, teacher and writer whose study of pojagi influenced her students and many artists to create pojagi-inspired traditional and contemporary artwork.

Blogger "A Seamstress in Kyoto" thoroughly describes the pojagi in her blog post.

Leonie Castelino is an artist who creates pojagi-inspired art.

Although pojagi is not a new art form, it is new to me, and with each new daily discovery I make through reading, study, research and working in my studio, I feel like I'm getting closer to home.


1 comment:

WoolenSails said...

I learned something new today;)
There was some beautiful dyed pieces and art and some reminded me of the gees bend style of using scraps.

Debbie