Sunday, February 3, 2013

Harley Brown's Eternal Truths For Every Artist

  Little Quilt #1, 5"x 7"
© 2012 Fannie Narte

If you can get a copy of the book "Harley Brown's Eternal Truths For Every Artist" from your local library or bookstore, get it.  I highly recommend it for all artists working in any medium.  My art world shifted Big Time throughout my critical study of this book. 

I don't even know that I can articulate exactly what happened, but what I do know is that things definitely look clearer now.  It feels like my mind was in a fog--and I didn't even know it was in a fog--until the fog lifted during the reading of this book and I suddenly understood general art theories and elements of design as I never did before.

It made sense to me that, generally, all art and design principles applied to all forms of artmaking, and after reading this book, artmaking became more enjoyable because my new understanding eliminated any fears I may have had.  Does this make sense? 

It may simply be that this book eliminated my fears and I now create from my love and joy of artmaking.

I especially enjoyed the chapters on values.  Harley is a pastel/oil painter, and I applied his principles to quilts.  Little Quilt #1 is my first project based on my understanding of what I learned from Harley about values. I plan to create more Little Quilts practicing my knowledge of values and maybe experimenting to discover pleasing designs that sing.  Sounds like fun! 

Join me in the fun.  Pick your favorite colors, dark, medium and light/bright and have a go.  You can even copy my simple design, if you like.

Make magic.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Lisa M Griffin said...

You always have such lovely recommendations... through you I have enjoyed "The Artists Way" as well as the fantastic Caran D'Ache pencils... so thank you for this other suggestion, will need to check it out. :)

WoolenSails said...

I am horrible when it comes to values, I tend to grab fabrics that look good together and that is it, lol. I want to make more mini quilts for now, so I can practice and experiment.

Debbie

Fannie said...

Hah! Yes, most of us do that. Until I read Harley's book, I just grabbed fabrics too. Now I see and choose differently and make quilts with less frustration, less picking out seams. Do what makes your heart sing, even just grabbing fabrics that look good together. Everything you create is awesome becomes it comes from your heart. Have a creative day, Debbie! You are loved.