Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Mokuaikaua Church

 Mokuaikaua Church, Watercolor Sketch, 6"x6"
© 2013 Fannie Narte
 
I walk past the Mokuaikaua Church in the Kailua Village almost daily because I live next to it.  It's the oldest Christian church in the Hawaiian Islands.  The stone archway entrance, made from lava rocks, leads from the street to the church grounds.
 
"The land was given to the missionaries by King Kamehameha III and the initial church was completed in 1820. The original structure was made of thatch under the direction of Asa Thurston, one of the first missionaries. This coral church was built by Governor Kuakini in 1837. The lava rock in the structure came from a 15th Century heiau that once stood on this land. It is reported to have taken 4,000 men to crush the coral, make the mortar and construct the church. The interior is simple, but elegant, made of native koa wood."*
 
The Village is filled with rich culture and historical sites.  I'm lucky to live nearby and a quick sketch of the scenery is just a few minutes from my home . . . an artist's dream.

____________
 
 

5 comments:

Ku'ulei said...

Beautiful. And interesting history. :)

WoolenSails said...

Love the story behind this painting. I do love old churches and take photos when I am on trips for future art projects.

Debbie

Lorraine said...

lovely little sketch

Fannie said...

Thanks, Debbie and Lorraine! I appreciate your comments and visits. Hugs

Fannie said...

Ku'ulei! I just found your comment. Love you!!! Thanks for stopping by.