Friday, October 18, 2013

Pua Mele

 Pua Mele, oil on canvas, 16" x 20"
© 2013 Fannie Narte
$650
 
The ipu (dried gourd) is my personal symbol of Aloha and Mahalo--Love and Gratitude, and I often use the images of the ipu to also represent people.  Hula dancers use the ipu to accompany certain dances.  

When I completed this painting, its name was obvious:  Pua Mele.  Pua means "blossom" or "flower," and Mele means "song."

Fragrant flowers are everywhere, especially the plumeria and tiare blossoms.  Local musicians and entertainers share their hearts through song and dance.  "Pua Mele" connects the islander or visitor to the island lifestyle, which is sharing the experience of Aloha and Mahalo.


1 comment:

Lisa M Griffin said...

I always enjoy your color palettes... and this one is spectacular. Makes me think of a summer day... rich, warm and luscious.