Monday, November 24, 2014

Butterfly Cross-Body Purse

Butterfly Cross-Body Purse
© 2014 Fannie Narte


This is how I created the flap of this purse:

I started with two pieces of Batik fabrics:


On this piece of fabric, I wrote my thoughts about friendship using gold gutta resist in a tube. Before it dried, I placed the second piece of fabric, shown below, right sides together, and gently patted the two pieces of fabric so the gold writing would transfer to the second piece of fabric.  I let this first piece of fabric dry.

On this second piece of fabric, I wrote my thoughts using black gutta resist onto the cloth.  This is what I wrote:

"When hearts gather to share life's stories and all who gather do so with open hearts, magical moments occupy the light-filled space and bind hearts,  once friends, now family, eternally connected because they just showed up with the willingness to share the love and light that were in their hearts from the wisdom of the ages, and life is richer.  Love & Light."


Then I placed one fabric on top of the other, right sides up, and cut them into one inch and one-and-a-half inch strips.


Then I removed every other strip beginning with the far left strip and


stitched them together to make one piece of fabric.


Finally, I cut, redesigned and stitched the above piece into the design shown below.


The above piece was placed on a piece of batting and muslin fabric and quilted before finishing the front flap.

That's it.  Fun!

This purse is available in my Etsy Shop.

This purse pattern offers so many possibilities for design fun.  On to the next purse . . .


1 comment:

WoolenSails said...

That is really beautiful, love your technique.

Debbie